• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
soundguy

Alternatives To Peugeot Engines? Codes, Output, Weight...

soundguy

Seems like most of the Peugeot range of engines have been pretty well documented in various transplants and builds over the years, but what else is out there which could be considered a good alternative to what Peogeot offer?

If you've got recommendations would you like to share them - but would you please state accurately what the engine code is ,as well as the displacement, output and weight - this is so anyone can see straight away what the power:weight ratio of that engine is.

I would like to nominate:

Honda H22a / 2.2l / 187/217hp / 215Kg approx

Over to you...

welshpug

does the h22 really weigh that much ?!

I recently weighed a dry bare 8v 1.9 with a flywheel and it came in at 78 kg, I doubt it would be over 100kg built as its on bodies and a ss manifold, and its circa 175 bhp 160lbft!

1905cc d6b

Edited by welshpug

soundguy

In hindsight I think that weight for the H22 includes gearbox - I'm having difficulty finding specific weights for the bare engine as per your example.

But isn't the XU9 range much lighter than other engines of the period, as well as having a decent output for the time? Anyway, I will try to find an accurate weight for a bare H22A.

soundguy

Well, to try to clarify the example I posted:

http://www.ek9.org/forum/engine/50234-b16-weight.html

- "According to the Honda manual they state a b16a weighs 140kg wet"

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=879294

- "the H22 weighs 100lbs more than a B16A…We weighed them a couple of years ago for a Sport Compact Car article"

So converting those 100lbs = approx 45Kg, totalling 185Kg for the H22a.

• Like 1

dcc

taking in to account it is likely to have a heavier flywheel, clutch, head, block, aircon and pas... it isnt too much heavier than the xu9 :)

• Like 1

Mr_Frosty

How about a \|/ (<---funny W) engine? maybe a first for the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYsc7p9F3U

Bad video as it was some years ago but the sound is incredible.

img_7710.jpg

3 bike engines on a common crank. 3.6 litres, 12,000rpm, around 520bhp. something like this.

800px-Napier_Lion_W12_@_Brooklands_Museu

Type "gatinais" into you-tube it rallies in that.

soundguy

How about a \|/ (<---funny W) engine? maybe a first for the UK

3 bike engines on a common crank. 3.6 litres, 12,000rpm, around 520bhp. something like this.

Mucking Fental!

MKrisz92

Did anybody look into a N7Q turbo volvo s40 t4 engine conversion? The N/A(2.0 16v, 140bhp) was used in some french cars(Renault Laguna/Safrane), it might be worth a shot, as far as I know those turbo engines are pretty reliable and ~200bhp.

welshpug

well if youre looking at volvo turbo you might as well go T5 surely :D

rallyeash

I'm putting a K20A2 engine in a 309 right now...

MKrisz92

:) I am looking for a quite easy and straightforward turbo swap, sooo I don't know... Either TCT or something different which will fit, that's why I want to know more about this. Something easy which will fit without any body modifications :D And of course it should be reliable

GLPoomobile

That's a dirty thought often on my mind. Might struggle fitting it in the front of a 205 though. There was a guy on VPCUK with a T5 in the back of a Saxo though.

Paul_13

That "w" engined 205 is rippthrough on here

welshpug

No, its a fellow competitor on similar events to the ones he builds cars for but out in France.

vincent foucart iirc.

Edited by welshpug

Reebmit

Would love to see a turbo rotary (RX7), so small and big power :)

welshpug

this years engine In Vincents 205 is a triple rotor.

Paul_13

My bad, thought it was his

Reebmit

Awesome Mei, one of my friends is into his rotary's and they can have awesome power, most of his are over 500 hp and they are so small and rev like nothing else!!! a triple rotor well thats just another level...... :) :) that would be worth seeing!!

unariciflocos

Wonder how difficult it would be to get a VAG 1.8T inside a 205. Those things will take 350bhp all day long with so little money.

• Like 1

welshpug

pretty darn easy I think, using mk1 golf/ mk2 Scirocco mounts they arent too dissimilar to the honda Ash is doing now, they sit quite upright though the master cylinder/servo might cause issues.

not a particularly interesting engine though my vw loving friend tells me, certainly make the numbers very easily.

unariciflocos

If only it weren't a sacrilege and there would be a nice high power engine option from PSA..

105e

Further to the earlier suggestion, has the vag 1.8 t swap been done, anybody know.

tomcolinjones

vag 20v turbo on a a4 gearbox mounted behind the front seats.... So the shafts go straight into 405 4x4 trailing arms.... Not that I've been thinking about that for a certain cti shell that I could weld a roof and rear bulkhead onto :/ mid engines rwd beast! well when i have time to think inbetween nappy changes.

Edited by tomcolinjones

welshpug

im not sure a 205 is long enough for a transaxle.