• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Underbody Sealant

eddie bullit

I'm dead excited! :D I've finally found some time to start stripping the underside of the Pug. Beam's off and fuel tank with no rust to speak of.

What I'd like to know, from people with experience is, what are the best methods to remove under seal? I've read about flap discs on angle grinders or just plain old white spirit with a scraper.

On from this what's best to prep with prior to spraying in body colour via aerosol?

Thanks

Edd

Clapton_Is_God

I'm not so sure you'll find it exciting when you get stuck into it, I found it an absolute pig of a job!

I used a wire wheel attachment on an angle grinder/drill, stripping discs, paint stripper, heat gun and various scrapers and chisels all to good effect. It was just a very time consuming, very messy job, especially if you're lying on your back.

Have fun!

• Like 1

eddie bullit

I'm dreading it TBH but it's gotta be done

eddie bullit

A mate's just put a bit of doubt in my mind about removing it. He was saying that as its in good nick he'd leave it be..confused now.

farmer

I would leave it if it's good.

I left mine on and just applied waxoyl over the top.

Obviously removed any loose sealant

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

On my car I stripped it all back from the rear panel up to the fuel tank as there were suspect patches. The floorpans forward of that were in good order so I only stripped back a couple of localised areas. Wire wheel of death on the angle grinder is the best weapon.

Plumbob

I used wire brush cup wheels and poly discs for mine. Not a fun job but looks nice now!

Juttie205

I have been using wire wheels in a drill as not so aggressive as in a grinder and hot air gun I personally would remove all old sealant as I found bad parts under sealant that looked fine. It is a pig of a job though and I wouldnt wish on anyone I didnt have a choice as I wanted to take mine back to bare metal underneath.

• Like 1

eddie bullit

I would leave it if it's good.

I left mine on and just applied waxoyl over the top.

Obviously removed any loose sealant

I think this is what I'm going to go with.

aldworth33

Im just about to start doing mine, bought myself a big ole bag of walnut shells for blasting it :) gave them a test the other day and they strip rust and paint great (not sure about the underseal)

Blasters aren't expensive off the net (not tried them but can't be much different from what I'm using on mine from my work) and blasting materials are cheap, so for the time it takes and access to tight corners etc blastings way better than anything else if you've got access to a compressor

205wrc

I find it best to heat the inside of the car and scrape the outside. The heat melts the sealer inside out and comes off a hell of a lot easier and cleaner

• Like 1