• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Horn Not Working - Help!

iPlod999

Nope still no good.

I'll have to give it another go tomorrow. :(

jackherer

No. 12 V plugged in.

I just re-read that, do you mean there is 12v with it plugged in or there is not 12v with it plugged in?

iPlod999

I get 12 V when the plugs are off.

Once they are plugged onto the horn. Zero.

jackherer

Ah OK, I misunderstood earlier. This is actually very typical for 205s and the multimeter just adds confusion by showing voltage when the horn or whatever still doesn't work.

The wire is supplying 12v but as soon as you apply a load (the horn) the voltage disappears. This is almost always because the wire is old and corroded, its electrical resistance is high so a little bit of power can get through when it's unplugged which is what you see on the meter but as soon as the horn tries to pull some actual power through it the resistance stops it.

Like I said before you need to cut the wire out bit by bit until you find shiny bright copper then splice new wire in. Peugeot mention something called a solder sleeve in Service Box so IMO they are an OEM repair method, you need a heatgun to use them. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/cable-accessories-ties-tools/solder-sleeves/

This is a common problem on 205s, not just for the horn but all the exposed wiring, lights, washer pump etc.

iPlod999

Schoolboy error time.

When I was testing last night with the wiring plugged on to horn. I was putting the mm on each of the 2 horn terminals.

Brain wave today at work and I just put 1 probe on the horn and earthed the other via the wing.

There is power going to the horn when the stalk is pressed.

When I connected the horn direct to the battery it went beeb.

Edited by iPlod999

jackherer

That suggests a bad earth then, when you put the meter on the wing it is earthing directly. You would see 12v at the two horn terminals if the supply AND earth both worked, by earthing the meter directly you are then only testing the supply which you've proved works.

Put the positive multimeter probe directly on the battery + post and put the negative probe on the earth terminal plug on the horn, you should see 12v but if the earth is faulty you wont.

iPlod999

Ok starting to sink into this head of mine.

+ of battery to wing showed 12v.

+ of battery to earth wire showed zero.

I'll replace the short earth wire between the horn and the earth point behind headlight.

This.

output_zpsya59ao9q.jpg

Out with family tonight. So will try this in the morning.

Thank you Kieran and Welshpug so far.

iPlod999

Success at last.

Replaced the short earth wire and put on new connectors.

Can't wait for my next bit of road rage. ;)

Thank you again for the help guys.

jackherer

Nice one :)

You'll know what to do next time your sidelights/foglights/washers or even the horn stops working five minutes before the MOT too!

The video is private BTW.

mmatthej1

Relay for airhorn - can anyone guide , plse?

Relay for airhorn - can anyone guide me as to where it is located , plse?

jackherer

On the nearside of the bulkhead, either screwed on directly or in a black plastic box on later models.

mmatthej1

Thanks! Will have a search, when (if) rain ever stops!