• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thedude2u

Looking For A Good Source For A 1.6 Gti Maf

thedude2u

Hi All,

I've got the ubiquitous bucking/hesitation issue on my 1988 1.6 GTI that is happening in certain RPM ranges (typically 2800 - 3200 RPM). From what I have gathered, bad carbon traces on the MAF can be one cause of the hesitation. I have made attempts to retrace my MAF, but I think it is time to try to find a second hand replacement. The only problem is that I live in the USA. Does anyone know of a trusted source for a good working second hand MAF that might ship to the USA? I've got paypal in hand. I plan to order some other ignition parts as well just in case the problem isn't with the MAF. Any help is appreciated.

scbond

I'm sure that someone on here (using the Wanted section) would be willing to post it to the US provided that postage costs were covered. Otherwise, you may be able to find other cars that use the same air flow meter. For example, the Porsche 944 uses the same one as the phase 1.5 1.9 GTI. I'm not sure which cars use the same as yours but if you know the part number then post it up and someone can tell you.

jackherer

Otherwise, you may be able to find other cars that use the same air flow meter. For example, the Porsche 944 uses the same one as the phase 1.5 1.9 GTI. I'm not sure which cars use the same as yours but if you know the part number then post it up and someone can tell you.

Unfortunately I don't think that's an option for a 1.6 AFM. AFAIK it is only shared with the Visa GTI, some BXs and possibly a Talbot but none were sold in the US. I know some 405s were sold there but I think it was only 1.9 8vs and Mi16s but even if the 405 1.6 was sold there I don't think it used the correct AFM anyway.

welshpug

I would get an uk member to send an unit to atp electronics for remanufacture and then have it sent out to you

scbond

Unfortunately I don't think that's an option for a 1.6 AFM. AFAIK it is only shared with the Visa GTI, some BXs and possibly a Talbot but none were sold in the US. I know some 405s were sold there but I think it was only 1.9 8vs and Mi16s but even if the 405 1.6 was sold there I don't think it used the correct AFM anyway.

Ah..that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure as I have no experience with the 1.6 :(

Joe, if you're willing to spend a fair bit then it may be worth trying to get a brand new unit sourced through a Bosch dealer. Unlikely they'll have them on the shelf but they may be able to order them in directly. This may not even be much more than having someone in the UK posting a used unit as the postage will possibly be quite high depending on who's used.

thedude2u

Thanks for the quick replies. I knew this wasn't going to be easy given my geographic location. Can someone confirm the correct Bosch MAF part number for a 1988 GTI 1.6? My MAF is stamped with the part number 0280202056. However, I see other part numbers mentioned online, such as 0280202097. Are there multiple part numbers for 1988, or does my GTI have the wrong MAF? Someone who owned the car before me has already removed the MAF cover (I assume to fiddle with the carbon traces), so I am guessing there has been problems with this MAF in the past.

Cheers.

Joe

thedude2u

Okay. I contacted ATP as well to see if they have a remanufactured unit they can sell me. It will be very expensive to ship my core unit to the UK, so I am hoping they have something off the shelf. The best I can gather, I need Bosch part number 0 280 202 056. I found a few MAFs available for sale in the USA, but they are from the Peugeot 405/505 with part number 0 280 202 202 and 0 280 202 057. I am assuming both are incorrect for my application unless someone tells me otherwise.

jackherer

0 280 202 056 is the correct one for a 1.6.

0 280 202 202 is correct for Mi16s and late 205 1.9s with Motronic, it wont work on Jetronic at all. 057 is for the 505 I think, it's not one I've ever seen.

ATP are very good, if their pricing is within your budget you can't go wrong with them. I've got a spare 056 I'd sell you and ship to ATP on your behalf if you like?

thedude2u

Thanks for the offer Jack. I will wait to hear back from ATP (hopefully by tomorrow). If they need a core, I will gladly buy yours plus shipping to ATP. Just checked the GBP/USD exchange, 1.71! That is insane! What is going on with the pound?!?! You guys should start ordering stuff from the USA, it is practically free :)

jackherer

Maybe you should buy up all the Mi16 AFMs you can find and sell them on ebay UK!

I used to buy a lot of Mi16 parts from ebay.com a few years ago, things like distributor caps and rotor arms that are ludicrously priced here were virtually free there.