• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikespug

General Questions On Work Im Doing

mikespug

Hi everyone not been on here for a very long time so will give everyone a quick run down

I have had my 19gti for about 17 years now. Had it on the road for around 3 year's then parked her up in my garage for the next 11 ???? finally got round to getting her back on the road the first year was a nightmare (true old french car !) Finally sorted things out replacing crap wire here and there, drive shafts, wheel bearings, you name it I had problems with it and slowly sorted it.

Them my water system started getting pressurised and blowing the water bottle. So off the road she come and has been sat on my drive the pass 7 or 8 mouths.

So now im pulling my finger out and want to sort it once and for all (or so to speak with a french car lol )

Right so at the mo I have the head off ready to send off to be pressure tested and skimmed ????

what else should I do ? Thinking of replacing all temp/ pressure sensors. Best place the get them ??

Replacing more wiring running to sensors starter motor ect (could people post pics of there engine with the way the wires run as mine are all over the place )

And what else do people suggest I do ??

Thanks in advance mikes pug

Simes

Did you try changing the radiator cap before removing the head?

Too late now but did you compression test it?

Sensors should be fine.

MikeC

I had the same head gasket failure, head did not require skimming, thankfully as it hadn't overheated.

I checked mine on a mill with a dial indicator.

A good steel rule (straight edge) will give a good indication if it is warped/damaged

dcc

These head gaskets are getting on to 25-30 years old. Generally speaking they dont do too badly over that time, but being parked up theyre going to be asking for a bit of rot!

While your at it get stem seals done maybe 3 angle valve seats and maybe worth checking liner seats and seal.