• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
migti

Sunroof

migti

hi,using my mi16 gti for mainly track days now n want to get rid of the sunroof for a cage,its the big sliding one,any one done this before or got and info on doing it?,

cheers

Snowman

Just remove it and rivet a plate over the hole. Shouldn't be too tricky.

Chris

Miles

Or you can go to the extremes and use a complete roof panel which are around £100.00 from Pug

Guest Dino

A mate of mine did exactly that - roof was reskinned. A pukka job too :rolleyes:

migti

so where will i get a roof skin???,think this is the best option?

cheers

Guest PacMan

Funny this topic should come up as i was about to post something similar.

I have a roll cage to fit, and my car also has a sliding sunroof, so was wondering if there was going to be any complications?

And as far as i can tell from the parts CDs, there no seperate roofskin available from Peugeot?

Guest Dino

Any good bodyshop would know where to get one from.

Guest Dave

Yeah a bodyshop will be able to source a roof panel, or, if you can find one, a trip to your local scrappy with a hack-saw will bag you one for pennies.

Im going to leave my sunroof in place and just ditch the full headlining to clear the roll-cage, as I use it when on the open road a lot.

A friend of mine with an Astra GTE just took the sunroof mechanism out, cut a section of sheet steel from an old bonnet and bonded this onto the roof. Looks a bit messy, but thats not really an issue on a hardcore track-day car.

Guest daz205

so what is involved in re skinning a roof to do a neat job i mean not a hardcore track car dont care what it looks like job

Miles

Pug Still do them, A mate got one a few weeks ago.

migti

so do i just go to the parts department n ask 4 a roof skin no sunroof for a 205 gti??,cheers

Guest Dave

Im not sure on the best way to replace it. I saw a car getting a roof replaced once in a bodyshop, the guy had a 2nd-hand roof from a scrapyard. When he removed it he left about 6 inches on each of the roof pillars. He then cut the whole roof of the car, six inches down each pillar and welded the pillars together, joining on the old roof. It then just took a wee bit of dressing, and paintwork on each pillar to get it finished off.

Im not sure about this from a safety point of view, but if the welding is up to scratch I dont see why not.

From a practical point of view, Id bet lining it all up would be an arse. All cars flex to a degree and there is probably a good chance the donor car might have flexed more or even less than your car, making lining up the pillars a nightmare.

Also, if you cut a roof off a car, it is likely to bend in the middle and fold up on itsself as the roof is a major structural element, so make sure the floor-pan is well braced to stop it bending.

Personally, id say it wasnt worth the hassle.

Guest Gareth

has anyone thought of/tries going off to the local scrappy, fetching a roof panel but only cutting the required section out to use as a correctly shaped "patch"?

i was thinking of giving this a go because some idiot who owned my car before me decided a cheap aftermarket sliding sunroof would look the part... FOOOOOL!!!

it leaks and the handle had broken off meaning it can only ever be closed. useful!

migti

was thinking about this but it may look patched up .

was also thinking about full on roof chop i am fitting a full cage so i think it would be ok but the wrk and skill lining it up to look will not be cheap i am thinking.

migti

i know :)

all this hassle to get rig of a sunroof, just trying to make it look as good as poss.

cheers

Guest Dave

my mates astra with the section of old bonnet bonded on over the sunroof hole....

roof1.jpg

Guest ste

I've seen a few Stock Hatch cars with just a plate rivetted in place. As long as you get the silicone sealer on well under the plate you should be ok.

Obviously the best thing is not to buy a sunroofed shell but you already know that. :)

[Took me ages to find a standard white GTi with no sunroof...]

Guest LKHanberg

Why would you not want a sunroof? I LOVE my sliding roof, all the light you get in the cabine, its GREAT.

Guest LKHanberg

I see... how much is there to save? How about one of the carbonfiber instead of the glass? How big difference there?

Sign in to follow this