• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Timing Position

amusingadam

I have just replaced the head gasket and want to make sure i have the timing perfect before i continue.

I can turn the engine perfectly with no issues the cam timing hole lines up when the bottom pulley is in line with the first hole on the block i would say around 11 o'clock (i did mark the pulley but it broke on removal so a new one was marked to the best i could get it) if anyone has a photo or advice feel free to comment. one last thing when all the marks are lined u the pistons are all just about level.

Thanks Adam

mrfirepro

Hi Adam,

I dont know whether you are using an OEM cam belt but if you are I also noticed that the lines on the cam belt lined up with the marks on the toothed pullies (sorry probably wrong terminology, hope you get the parts I mean). The marks are very faint but if you look hard you can see them.

jdt

lines on the cam belt only line up when fitted, turn the engine over once and they don't line up any more.

Put the timing pins (10mm bolt) in the cam pulley and crank pulley - could not be easier.

Get a Haynes manual or think you can download it somewhere if not sure

amusingadam

That's how I did it the only thing I'm struggling with is which hole on the block there's 2 side by side at the bottom pulley

dcc

1 is a 10mm hole, the other is a bracing

sorry meant 8mm

Edited by dcc

amusingadam

Perfect thanks

DamirGTI

Underneath the pulley , this is the hole/slot where the pin locks the crank :

1954238965bbaac408d8f0d9b575396baf0967f1

With the pulley fitted , it looks like so :

19542388e10b3a8b6bed8a227408fc1a014bf3a1

... the middle 10mm hole @ around 11 o'clock is for locking up the crank , and also when the pulley is aligned properly you must be able to see the two 11mm bolts trough the pulley side holes on the lower corners too .

D

amusingadam

Perfect did it exactly like this the lines on the belt matched up rotated it 5 times there was no resistance at all so safe to start it I would say. Really big thanks guys

unariciflocos

Hope there was at least the resistance of the compression stroke.

amusingadam

Of course