• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mongoose

Engine Supply And Fit Near Manchester

Mongoose

Hello,

I'm trying to put my 1991 1.6 GTI back on the road. It has a list of problems longer than my arm but the main concern is a hairline crack at the back of the block. It's with a mechanic at the moment but he doesn't want to supply an engine. I don't want to buy one off Ebay, pay him to fit it and then find it's no good. Can anyone suggest anywhere in the Manchester area that might be able to help with this at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

allanallen

If you're not prepared to fit a second hand engine what do you envision a reasonable cost being?

To have a reputable company properly re-block and rebuild your engine you'll be looking at the thick end of a £1000 I'd imagine, if not more.

A known good engine off here will cost you a fraction of that.

Mongoose

I'm not averse to fitting a second-hand engine; my problem is finding one that I know is reliable. There are suppliers that will provide a warranty but they are all miles away. I'm trying to avoid buying an engine, paying to have it fitted and then having to pay again to have it removed if it turns out to be no good - I'm working to quite a tight budget. I realise I might be asking the impossible but this forum came recommended. I'm hoping someone on here might be able to put me in touch with a supplier.

eddie bullit

Ask on here who's willing to do it and get your 205 trailered to them for transplant. Probably cheaper and more chance of a good job too. That's what I'd do.

good luck.

Mongoose

I'm new here - is this the right section to ask? If anyone has a reliable 1.6 engine they could fit and would like to give me an idea how much it would all cost please get in touch.

allanallen

There will be people who'll fit you an engine on here but I very much doubt anyone will offer you any kind of warranty on a second hand engine.

Sounds like you've got someone capable of fitting it, you just need to find an engine.

Put a wanted add up, I'm sure there'll be some decent units available.

unariciflocos

Weld it?

Mongoose

Weld it?

I don't have any mechanical aptitude or ability whatsoever. I'm paying a mechanic to fit an engine for me and I'm not sure he'd be able to do that.