• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edinpugger

New 205 Owner With An Engine Problem!

edinpugger

Hey all! I bought a 1992 205 1.9 gti. Phase 2 I think?! I'm looking to keep it virtually standard with a few very subtle changes. It is currently garaged with not tax or MOT. I'm desperate to get it in the road!

Apologies if this is a common issue and I'm asking a question that's been done. I've had a look and can't find a previous post describing a problem like mine.

When I got the car it started and drove. I have replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, rotor arm, distributor cap, ht leads and plugs. The car now won't start and run. I also changed it from a k&n filter to standard air box set up.

The engine turns over well but immediately runs extremely lumpy and then dies. It'll run for about ten seconds at most.

I initially thought I had either set the timing out or mixed up the firing order of plugs/ht leads. I have checked the timing using the dowels through the pulleys. I have also checked firing order and all seems to be as it should. The rail is getting fuel and there is a spark at the plugs.

While I was working on it an intermittent fault seemed to develop with the relay next to the ecu. After the key is removed the fuel pump continues to run. Could this be the source of my issues?

Thanks for reading and any help offered!

PS. I have a video of me starting the engine and it's attempts to run. Can I load this onto this post somehow?

large

How are you checking your firing order? Plug one is the gearbox end.

2-Pugs

Check the connection to the air flow meter. If that's disconnected, the car will start but not run

edinpugger

I checked firing order by getting cylinder one to TDC on compression stroke. Then check position and rotation direction of rotor arm. Using 1342 firing order I worked out which ht lead goes where.

The AFM appears to be plugged in as it should. Other than changing to standard air box I haven't touched the AFM. Having looked a fair bit through previous posts I can see that they are fairly sensitive. I wasn't aware of that and I may not have treated it with the correct amount of care.

While the engine is "running", it will stall instantly if I try to use the accelerator pedal.

jackherer

Have a look at the pins in the plug, they can get pushed back in to the housing so they can appear to be plugged in but they don't actually make a connection.

edinpugger

Ok. Will check that. I'll be delighted if it's a quick fix like that!

DamirGTI

I checked firing order by getting cylinder one to TDC on compression stroke. Then check position and rotation direction of rotor arm. Using 1342 firing order I worked out which ht lead goes where.

No1 cylinder on PSA engines is nearest the flywheel rather than near the timing belt as it is on most of the other engines , have you used the flywheel or the timing belt one as a No1 reference ?

If the wiring on the AFM turns up to bee good , making solid connection , check for vacuum leaks downstream of the AFM .. though it should be pretty big amount of air/vacuum leak to make it stall so rapidly when applying throttle ..

D

edinpugger

Yes I used cylinder closest to flywheel.

PSA engine?

I'll check for any leaks. When I replaced the k&n set up there are three connections to the 90° elbow in between the AFM and throttle body. I have connected the larger of the two breather hoses but I'm left with a smaller one that looks like it should have something connected to it?

2-Pugs

Sounds like a clue there. Got any snaps you can post so it can be figured out?

edinpugger

No pictures right now but I can get some.

edinpugger

This photo shows the connector with the screw in it. I found the photo online.

edinpugger

Here it is

post-25599-0-57988300-1402302901_thumb.jpg

Slo

Fuel tank vapour hose. Try removing your fuel cap and spin the engine over again, its possibly air locking

edinpugger

This should have a hose connected to it then?

Slo

Should have an elbow, switched valve and a pipe going to the fuel tank. Look at the fuel pipes underneath is there an extra pipe next to them?

post-21076-0-03469600-1402306673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slo

edinpugger

Thanks for the advice so far. I have replace the elbow with the fuel vapour connection with one that doesn't have it in an attempt to eliminate any air leaks. Unfortunately it made no difference.

I disconnected the AFM connection to inspect the individual connectors. One looks a bit suspect but this is the first time I have disconnected this plug so can't see how it would be an issue when the car was running just fine before.

While the engine was "running" I put my finger into the AFM and pushed the flap open. When I push it to a certain point the engine will run just fine. Any ideas? I realise I am going to have to perform some tests on the AFM now.

I have also ordered a new tachymetric relay. Hoping it arrives today to see if that makes any difference.

edinpugger

Ok. I feel like a complete donkey! I have found the source of my problem. I had plumbed in the AFM the wrong way round! I took the K&N set up off to put it back to standard and mixed up the inlet and outlet. Two weeks wasted due to a silly mistake. I'm happy it's running again though! Thanks for any help and suggestions.

• Like 1

Slo

:lol: you plonker. Annoying bloody things these cars, always seem to develop the mother of all problems caused by ourselves.

I once had mine poking out of the garage (narrow council garage) having just re-fitted the inlet manifold and everything else I leaned through the window to turn the key but it just clicked so i pushed a big screw driver into the starter to find out i had installed the throttle cable on full bore the moment it started and was so scared by the immediate red lining I froze.

erbs

:lol: you plonker. Annoying bloody things these cars, always seem to develop the mother of all problems caused by ourselves.

I once had mine poking out of the garage (narrow council garage) having just re-fitted the inlet manifold and everything else I leaned through the window to turn the key but it just clicked so i pushed a big screw driver into the starter to find out i had installed the throttle cable on full bore the moment it started and was so scared by the immediate red lining I froze.

i did that yesterday and i nearly poohed myself :lol: