• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PeterGriffin

Water Behind Stereo

PeterGriffin

I removed the stereo to correct some wiring, to find water on wiring. Luby water. Car hasn't seen rain in over a month, so I presume I have a leaking matrix or pipework?

Hate playing with the dashboard, tell me where else to look...!

farmer

Heater matrix I would think.

johnhenry

heater matrix, mine had exactly this

search the forum, its a really straight forward job!

Edited by johnhenry

Slo

+1 for the matrix really lucky my sony head unit only got a rusty case and didnt get fried from the water running over it.

Also check under your carpet as it seeps its way down the back and can rot the floor really quickly in the centre with the soundproofing acting as a sponge

farmer

Buy a decent Matrix, I used O.E and it was better than the Euro car part cheap one IMO.

lightflow

I just did a matrix replacement recently. I would recommend an OEM matrix too. I learnt on here that you should ignore the Haynes manual and approach the matrix from beneath the steering wheel in the footwell. It is a straight forward job but is a tad fiddly, main thing is to be patient...

ablister

it's fairly easy to replace, all done from the drivers side foot well.

Slo

The fiddliest part is bolting on the pipe clamp while holding both pipes in place and with the rubber ring on the end of each while you juggle the tiny bolts into the screw holes.

I took my seat out and laid on my back with a bright light. It hurt.

Simes

Easily done in 90 minutes.

Make you replace the two o rings.

2-Pugs

I have also had a problem in the past whereby one of the the metal pipes has corroded at the point of the join on the bulkhead in the engine bay. Water tracks down the pipe and drips off the bottom of that area in a similiar way.

Just something else to check :)

• Like 1

MikeC

Found that myself Rob when i went to change the hose in the engine bay. The metal hose came away with the rubber water pipe.

Edited by MikeC

scbond

I changed mine about a month ago and used the cheap one from ECP and have had no issues with it. The fittings that came with it (nuts and bolts rather than screws) aren't as good and i couldn't seem to get the bracket that clamps the pipes back on but other than that it was an easy yet fiddly job. Even managed to do it without draining coolant.

PeterGriffin

Easily done in 90 minutes.

Make you replace the two o rings.

Cheers lads, go it ripped out today and Valeo one on order from mister-auto. What a mess the car's in, but will get my tracker fitted while it's all in pieces.

Won't the new one come with a seal kit simes?

PeterGriffin

Also the car is leaving a tiny amount of coolant on the driveway, but figured this must be separate leak?

Paul_13

I used a gsf version and the pipes were so badly formed they wouldn't fit at all, had to reuse the old ones

PeterGriffin

new matrix in today, all nice and tight, no leaks.

Also installed the GPS tracker, was playing with the fuel pump cut off today. Try stealing it you chav minks, me and the maglite know where you are....!!! :ph34r:

e2a, not looking forward to putting the dash and trim back together, if anyone has a sequence for it all that would be mighty helpful.

Edited by PeterGriffin