• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Unknown Disconnected Hose And Wire

scbond

Need help identifying a couple of things. First (first image) is the small hose that enters the header/expansion tank at the cap. I found that it was loose at the other end today. There's no fluid in it and I've not been losing any coolant so I'm assuming it's a vapour return or something? Can someone tell me where the other end connects to as I haven't got a clue?

Second (second and third pics) is a cable/wire which I found dangling behind the front nearside wheel, near the wishbone/driveshaft/caliper. I think it's for the pad wear sensor but can't be sure. It enters the cabin through the firewall behind the strut with the loom.

taR6QpAl.jpg

s2TsJ2Ll.jpg

HW2jpMbl.jpg

MikeC

The hose is just an overflow, and is not connected to anything. The cable looks to be the wear indicator earth that is strapped to the top of the strut. Maybe check it electrically with a meter to be sure.

scbond

Ok, cheers. So the hose is meant to be as I found it...just dangling and aiming at the ground bind the gearbox? As for the wear indicator wire...I can't actually see any copper wire in it and it feels spongy when I squeeze it. The only way I knew what it was (sort of) was because I saw similar looking wires tied in a knot on the other calipers (obviously because someone didn't bother with compatible pads). Does it normally plug into the back of a compatible pad?

MikeC

There should be a socket near the strut above the pad carrier. Can you follow the cabel, just ya said it was spongy.

The pipe aims for the ground :ph34r:

scbond

Ok, will have a look tomorrow. Can't really get under the car properly as I don't have a jack or stands with me here in Nottingham. If there's no sensor compatible pads in the carriers I take it the wire doesn't need to be connected? As far as I know all the others on the car are just tied up near the calipers.

MikeC

It just earths when the pads wear and brings on a light on the dash

scbond

Ah ok...think I'll just tie it back somewhere as I can't see myself ever bothering with getting the right pads over normal ones when you can tell when they're worn anyway :D