• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ams

Replacement Horn Options?

Ams

I've read a few threads about 205 horns giving up and mines is no good. I'm a little unsure of obtaining a used 205 horn seeing as their getting on a bit and can be sketchy.

I've been trying to find info on a brand new straight swap alternative that people have fitted with success. Also one that retains a similar note but not too fussy on this aspect. Is there any horn that members can recommend before my MOT is due (which is pretty soon!)

Cheers.

aldworth33

Dingbro do a low frequency 12v marine horn lol its loud like lol any 12v horn would do tho

farmer

I have been ordering O.E horns In recently, expensive though.

Ams

I googled Dingbro but I cannot find anything directly related to car horns. How much are new 205 horns Farmer? I'm considering this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Stebel+Compact+Nautilus+Car+Horn&_sop=15

But I'm unsure if it'll be too big to mount in the standard location? Also it may draw too large a current and ingest water? :unsure:

Edited by Ams

welshpug

if your car was a 1.6 originally it'll just had a direct feed without a relay, so for a meaty unit like an air horn you'd be wise to add a fused live feed and use the original wire to switch the relay.

however if its a 1.9 there will be a relay for the horn and you can fit a replacement air horn fine, the original units were air horns.

I've replaced the compressor on mine with one from a newer car, can't remember what specifically, probably an S16 or similar as they ran the same compressor and an air horn, and on another car I bought the £15 compressor and twin horns from my local motorfactor and just used the compressor.

jackherer

I googled Dingbro but I cannot find anything directly related to car horns. How much are new 205 horns Farmer? I'm considering this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Stebel+Compact+Nautilus+Car+Horn&_sop=15

But I'm unsure if it'll be too big to mount in the standard location? Also it may draw too large a current and ingest water? :unsure:

Several years ago loads of people on here bought those and they were very good but initially but reliability is terrible.

Ams

Thats good info I'll avoid the Nautilus horn then. And yes WP it's a 1.6 setup so it's a direct feed, I didn't know there was a difference so again good info cheers.

I've found some options from ECP for around £12 so I think I'll just give one of them a shot:

Part number for Low Note is 549777701

Part number for High Note is 549777691

Being a 1.6 setup should I be going for the high note or low note?

welshpug

you could fit both, 405's and 406's had one of each, as did the 306 iirc.

Ams

If I fit both would the increased current demand necessitate a relay? I'm not very clued up with electrics, can you tell? :ph34r:

Tom Fenton

1600's often had twin horns fitted, one of each.

Ryan

My 1.6 has both, so I assumed they all did.

Ams

Your both spot on I just checked an old photo with the front bumper off and it has two, so I'll grab both. Cheers!

farmer

1.6 horns are still sold from Pug I think

O.E 1.9 horns price wise where roughly.

Compressor £75

Air horn £20

Compressor bracket £16

Air tubing £4

All NFP.

Ams

Cheers for that info Farmer, if I run into any issues with my current bits I'll be sure to give you a shout.

Rock Lobster

I didn't realise they were air horns on the 1.9, not sure I would be willing to spend over £100 on one mind!

Simes

Halfords air horns do the trick on the 1,9

You can fit both trumpets down there.

They last about 5 years - the compressors bungs up - unless of course you use your car!

I've had a Steibel Nautilus - stopped working and expensive to replace.

Now on another set bought from Halfords.

Electric ones don't fail - but sound less effective and cheeky!

Could go for this way though

Ams

Haha when I was trying to look for informative vids on car horns the search results kept spitting out air horn prank vids. :)

I ended up going for this as it's the same manufacturer supplying ECP but both are combined in the same package with a relay chucked in. Slightly cheaper too:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_222209_langId_-1_categoryId_165704

I didn't realise they were air horns on the 1.9, not sure I would be willing to spend over £100 on one mind!

There's a growing concourse scene with these cars, and those chaps have deep pockets. ;)

welshpug

ohh go on then :D

9714178739_96f1723dde_z.jpg

IMAG1802 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Edited by welshpug

Slo

I saved my air horns and compressor from my old 605 and spent hours making proper brackets and wiring in a relay to handle the current and all it did in the end was a quiet little peep, quite disappointed because the compressor gives a decent blast of air and it draws a hell of a lot of current. the horn is just a plastic spiral channel that leads to those piezo plate things.

Rock Lobster

Anyone got a pic of the original?

farmer

cRaig will as I found O.E for him.

He said it was particularly loud.

Rock Lobster

I want original but I also want to keep hold of some of my cash! :)

jackherer

ohh go on then :D

9714178739_96f1723dde_z.jpg

IMAG1802 by WELSHPUG, on Flickr

Nice, that's the sort of horn you need to match an engine like that :lol:

Where's the other end in relation to the bottom of the rad, higher or lower?