• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Luke

Tripometer/odometer Not Resetting

Luke

Since I bought the car the tripometer wouldn't reset. I finally got round to taking the speedo apart to see what was going on.

The little catch that the reset button is supposed to press on has broken off. I tried super gluing a bit of plastic in its place and managed to file it down to the perfect size but the glue wouldn't hold if for more than about 5 resets.

I can get a second hand speedo on eBay for about 20 quid and just swap that little bit over but has anyone got any other ideas on how to fix it?

Anthony

It's not too difficult, if a little fiddly.

Remove the reset button completely and split it in two. You need to shorten it slightly so that the remaining tab that was behind the reset catch on the trip is now in front and - crucially - that it isn't putting pressure on the reset. It's a bit fiddly and you'll likely need to try a couple of times before you get it right, but it works fine and I've fixed a few like that which are still going strong today :)

Luke

Ah it's actually the reset catch on the trip that has broken off.

Anthony

Ah, so it's not the usual problem then.

If it is of any use, I've got a spare speedo here that's faulty (speedo needle sticks) but that the trip works on - cover the postage cost and you're welcome to it if you want to canabalise it for parts to repair yours.

• Like 1

Luke

That would be great. PM me your Paypal and I will drop you a fiver's worth of beer tokens.

Luke

Actually postage my be more than a fiver, is quite heavy isn't it. Let me know how much it will be and I will send you that!

Anthony

Fiver will be plenty Luke as it doesn't weigh anything of note - I'll PM you now.