• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
michael_jenkins

Xs Rally Car (Tu3S) - More Power Needed

michael_jenkins

Hi All,

I've been having a look around this forum the the last couple of weeks with regards to tuning the Tu3s.

I rally my Peugeot 205 XS on gravel roads, it totally standard other than a K&N filter. I really struggle in some up hill sections of stages and I can feel myself loosing a lot of time. On my last event, I finished 4th in my class (out of around 10 I think) and 1 second behind a Siera Cosworth. I drove the wheels off the thing though, and I know I could do so much better with more power.

The important thing here is that the car MUST stay as a 1.4.

My budget is around £1k, maybe a little bit more if need be?

What should I do to my Tu3s? I've noticed a few tu3s engines out there running 125bhp, is this possible? is more possible? less? Please help, there's lots of info on here but most of it seems to involve the engine becoming a 1.6, which isn't any good for what I need.

Would really appreciate some kind of shopping list so I can keep an eye out for parts.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by michael_jenkins

welshpug

Do your regs allow more than two throttles?

Gearing is probably the first thing to look at really.

michael_jenkins

I believe the regs are just it being up to 1400cc.

I thought the low gearing on the XS was probably actually pretty good.

I just feel a bit bogged down in the slower speed sections.

johnnyboy666

The Tu3s is quite responsive to bolt on mods. Depending on what you can get hold of, a 4-2-1 manifold can make them come alive a fair bit. I expect you'd have to modify one from another Tu, as the ones that used to be available for the 205 are long out of production.

If you fancy keeping it carb, IIRC the weber DGAS or DGAV (?) used be be used on these with reasonable gains. Or the twin carb route of weber DCOE or dellorto DHLA's, but manfifolds might need to be custom, not sure if Boggbros still do them.

Then perhaps kent cams/ catcams and a rolling road to set everything up.

Alternatively, Sandy is a bit of a TU guru if I remember rightly, and I'm sure theres a few lengthy topics deep in the archives with lots of good ideas

cti_jim

Ive owned a couple of ax gt's and the guys on AXOC.CO.UK are probably the best to ask. I know people used to shorten the final drive ratio for hillclimbs, I built up an engine using r6 bike carbs and cams, adjustable vernier, mild headwork, stainless exhaust straight through, but I used a saxo vtr head. apparently with those mods set up correctly I could see anything between 130-140bhp. if you need a tu3s head to play with I have 2 going spare. if not exhaust, k&n and a correctly set up carb should see about 100bhp

tdr_1976

Hi,

I've done a lot of work on my TU3S engine. I've had the head ported, Valves re-ground, Put a Kent PT02 Cam & vernier pulley, replaced every consumable bit on the engine with Genuine Peugeot items. The bottom end is still a std 1360. I've had a 4-2-1 manifold modified to fit, and replaced the twin choke carb with a pair of Twin 40 Dellorto DRLA's.

It goes really well and is a LOT of fun to drive.

10006927_10152094823402861_6896260618770​

yippeekayay

Could do with tidying mine up. Mines allegedly running about 100bhp at wheels with similar mods to above with longman involvement. Just being turned into a log booked stage car ready for epynt in july though considering a 106 cup car thats up for sale early july. My engine may well be for sale for 1k ish with twin 40s or still in caged car for 2k.

• Like 1

michael_jenkins

Thanks all. I'm pretty much going to match the mods of tdr_1976.

Keeping my eye out for Dellortos at the moment. Which route in your opinion is best DHLA or DRLA?

I've found a couple of options for 4-2-1 manifolds, the Marmitte or the Ti Motorsport Manifold. I understand the Raceland is probably best bit really hard to find. If anyone has any other options please let me know.

Regards

Mike

tdr_1976

Hi mate, I bought the manifold and dellorto's all bolted together from another forum member. I've been told that the manifold is from a Citroen Visa, not sure if that's where it came from though. I like the DRLA's, they are easy to work on, and leave plenty of space behind the engine, and look better in my opinion.

Regarding the exhaust manifold, I bought a 106/vtr one, and had it modified.

michael_jenkins

Thanks. The DRLAs are fairly easy to find. I'll check out the visa manifolds, it seems pretty difficult to find the right manifold for the Dellorto DRLAs.

I agree though, DHLA take up too much room and cooling doesn't look great.

Ti Motorsport no longer do the 4-2-1. There is the CSC Marmitte 4-2-1, not sure how good it is but seems to have a few good reviews on here, otherwise I'll keep an eye out for a 106 4-2-1. Any idea on what phase of 106 will fit (with modification)?

What did you use for the exhaust system?

johnnyboy666

Csc marmitte are awesome, however those are the ones that thought were as good as non-existant now. I recall waiting for somewhere around a year for the last group buy to be shipped over to the UK, maybe things have changed since then

michael_jenkins

I emailed them earlier in the week. They can deliver apparently. So are the current ones no good?

michael_jenkins

What about the center section and backbox? Is the CSC of these any good or should I go for a difference manuf. of centre/back exhaust?

This one any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-1-1-1-4-XS-Sportex-Exhaust-System-Single-3-/271502286011?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f36cc1cbb

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by michael_jenkins

jonXS

Those exhaust backbox brackets are the only problem i found on them. They sit about 2-3 inches lower than the bumper, nothing a slight modification cant help.

I've got one of them in my garage at home wit next to 0 miles on it, i fitted it and then bought a ti motorsport system

michael_jenkins

Those exhaust backbox brackets are the only problem i found on them. They sit about 2-3 inches lower than the bumper, nothing a slight modification cant help.

I've got one of them in my garage at home wit next to 0 miles on it, i fitted it and then bought a ti motorsport system

I wish Ti still did the exhaust system :(

• Like 1

jonXS

It is a shame but one may come up at the right price. Ha e you tried asking them if they would make one for you as a one off?

they're a damn good system, sounds great and looks pretty stealthy :)

sorry i cant be helping haha

michael_jenkins

I've asked them. He's going to get back to me. Also recommended a French site but they don't seem to do one either.

Haha, no not helping! ;)

jonXS

Is the current downpipe on yours the one with a split all the way down it? It helps if they don't have that in i am lead to believe.

could maybe try this place

http://www.rallyshop.it/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=49&filter_id=1693&language=en&page=1&sort=4a

I've never used them, i found the bookmark on my phone its from before i got my ti motorsport one. I spent a long time looking for one, could be pricey though including shipping.

michael_jenkins

Is the current downpipe on yours the one with a split all the way down it? It helps if they don't have that in i am lead to believe.

could maybe try this place

http://www.rallyshop.it/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=49&filter_id=1693&language=en&page=1&sort=4a

I've never used them, i found the bookmark on my phone its from before i got my ti motorsport one. I spent a long time looking for one, could be pricey though including shipping.

Thanks mate. I've actually already been looking at that one. Seems cheaper from CSC direct. But still mega expensive.... This is what they've quoted:

PE-13X000 € 225,00
PE-130200 € 290,00
PE-090080 € 525,00
+ another € 100 for postage.
I think I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a 106/vtr raceland and then maybe the eBay centre/back section.
Bit annoying as I'd like something good quality but I'm not prepared to spend nearly £700 when I've got Dellortos to buy too.
I'll keep my eye out.
Cheers,
Mike

tdr_1976

Mine was a 106/vtr 8v Manifold mate. I went down the same road your going now, as nice as the Marmite systems are, they are ridiculously priced. How they get the €100 postage price I do not know.

michael_jenkins

I know! Crazy prices. Keeping my eye our for a raceland now

tdr_1976

Good luck with the mission matey :)