• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty205xs

Buying An Upgraded Camshaft

matty205xs

hi everyone, iv got a 1993 Peugeot 205 1.4 xs with just a standard TU engine but now im looking to upgrade some parts on it to hopefully gain a couple of hp. The first thing I was thinking of doing was an upgraded camshaft, but as iv got no experience with anything like this im needing some advise on which camshaft to get and if I do replace the camshaft will i need to upgrade anything to suit it and if I do replace it how much hp will I gain and how much money are we talking to buy one.

thanks matt.

scbond

Don't mean to play your ideas down or anything but there's little to no point doing upgrades like this to a low power car like that. You'd save more and get more power by either doing an engine change or by getting a GTI.

welshpug

Its not that low, the alloy block 1360 xs is 85bhp and not far off the pace of a 1.6 gti as its a fair bit lighter.

hexhamstu

Fit a vts engine?

aarontrophy

fit a vts engine mate there about 300 quid complete, pretty simple conversion alot of information out there about doing the conversion.

Batfink

I'd rather have the 8v with a lighter and more responsive front end due to the lighter weight of the engine.

welshpug

Yup, tis a hefty lump, i think i would rather an xu5 and its stronger gearbox, or a refreshed tu3.

calvinhorse

Another vote for keeping the tu3s engine

I fitted a 205 Rallye cam (fairly mild really) and DIY ported the head on an otherwise standard xs and it made a huge difference

Catcams are well known for their Tu cams and are extremely helpful, give them a call

kyepan

and if you check out what they sound like on bodies... you'll be very happy!

calvinhorse

Agreed, and the term 'screaming 16v' is bulls*it, only an 8v tu can truly scream :)