• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hheppy

Oil Pressure Gauge Not Working

Hheppy

I just need to check with some of you seasoned campaigners that I am going in the right direction here.

Gauge shows no pressure when engine is running, Oil level is fine.

switching on the ignition, the red light on the gauge comes on and goes off once engine has started so it appears I am looking at electric rather than anything else here.

Should I just replace the pressure sensor behind the manifold or are there some other electrical connections to check first? The terminal looked ok when I checked on the sensor, no corrosion, so wondered if there was something else to check first.

Also, I do have a very small oil leak, just a few drips which I have been monitoring for a few weeks now which seems to be coming from the back of the engine, between the dipstick and the distributor, it really is very small, but still, I don't want it to become a big problem.

All help, tips and suggestions very welcome

thanks in advance.

Andrew

Ryan

Take the terminal off the sensor and short it to earth. If the gauge goes all the way to the top then the wiring is fine so the sensor must be faulty. If the gauge doesn't move then it's a gauge or wiring fault.

Edited by Ryan

welshpug

Take the terminal off the sensor and short it to earth. If the gauge goes all the way to the top then the wiring is fine so the sensor must be faulty. If the gauge doesn't move then it's a gauge or wiring fault.

or someone has stuck the wrong wire on the sender.

Hheppy

cheers gents will try that. it was working fine until the other day.

PhilNW

Oil leak is probably the o ring between the cam shaft and the distributor needs changing (just doing mine) or the cam shaft cover

Hheppy

Thanks Phil looks like I have a few jobs to do!

just as well I can't get the car out of the garage for 3 weeks due to scaffolding round the house!

cheers

Andrew

Hheppy

New sensor and O ring needed, bit of work to be done, thanks for your help Phil Ryan and Mei

Hheppy

stroke of luck as the gauge has started working again, so going to leave it alone after all.