• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
td_w

Cannot Start - First Post, Don't Burn Me!

td_w

Hey there, its my first post! I bought a lovely F plate 205 1.9 GTI track project and its great. I have only had a few days and I have a problem. As its my first post I have done as much reading as possible and also done as much testing as I can and no luck.

Only problem is after owning it less than a week it no longer starts. First it needed a new battery and still was only starting once in a while. Its odd, I leave it for an hour and it will start when I try, they start every time for next few start and stops, then won't start again.

So anyway, I tested the signal cable from the famous brown plug, it has signal. So I thought must be starter solenoid. I changed the starter and solenoid and still same issue, the starter is fine.

I am now at a loss what to check next.

It has battery

Starter and solenoid working fine

Solenoid getting signal and starter has power

Symptoms

• Turn key and ignition lights up, goes to furtherest position and power appears to be cut
  • Doesn't try and turn over
  • Solenoid IS clicking under bonnet and relays all clicking on fuse board
  • Thats it!

Any ideas?

The last owner says he never had a problem with it, and as far as he knows it doesn't have an immobiliser fitted - he had it for 5 years. Having said that it kind of feels like its being shut down by an immobiliser.

Any helpful hints on what to do next?

Thanks in advance, and hello!

omega

Sounds like a bad earth

check the connections.

welshpug

check the voltage drop on the starter solenoid wire, likely to be quite significant after all these years.

if its severe work back through the circuit till you get a good strong voltage, and replace the length of cable from the started to a convenient point in one continuous run.

td_w

Thanks guys for speedy response, I can do both of these - where should I check the connections though omega? Anywhere specifically to look?

td_w

Also - to manually start the car can I just connect the battery positive terminal via a new cable to the starter solenoid, cutting out the signal cable?

welshpug

yes, just make sure its not in gear and your fingers are clear of the alternator.

td_w

Great, thanks - I guess I should put a fuse in that too?

SkyQuake

Just out of curiosity, have you tried giving the starter motor a goodly rap with the wooden mallet? Sometimes the brushes stick, and a little loving tap can be all it needs to free them up.

Slo

Also of out curiosity have you jumped the starter with a big screwdriver to the solenoid? As above make sure fingers are out of the way if you try this and do make sure its out of gear :excl:

td_w

Hey all

So traced it to bad earth - now working but classically as I drained the cooling system I now have an over heating 205 when I put it all back together.

All looks sealed and getting hot, going to check switches and thermostat.

May get to drive it one day!

cheesegrater

It's most likely air locked. Try giving it a good bleed.

kyepan

search for brown multiplug