• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

Emergency! In Need Of More Speed!

dartman

Yes head is free, next year will hopefully be a better season with built engine etc, was really just looking for a bit more speed that I could do mid season, like a cam etc, I read somewhere about putting a 306 2l 8v head on it? Can't remember exactly as was a whole ago, but would that make any significant difference?

welshpug

sod 8 valves then.

get a diesel block, bolt on a 16v head over some forged pistons in an overbore.

Henry 1.9GTi

I did a bit of reading on the tin tops regs as was thinking of an entry myself. I did make some notes which are on another computer but from what I gather a 16v engine would put you in class T2?

Josh: Id say make sure you are happy with the car as a whole and forget the power for the time being. You should be able to run under a minute with a standard 130bhp if its light enough. Brakes is where I found most lap time over people who are slightly more cautious :) I don't doubt for a minute that the tin tops series is alot more pro than what I'm doing but I wouldn't start tinkering with the engine above getting it to a well know standard quanity. i.e. compression test it, check AFR on a RR and generally get it up to scratch. Then if you still need more poke dont go at as what will this part do or this part. Set the hp limit you want, research what you need to achieve and then buy the parts. As said above, an ITB setup on a proper ECU with no other mods would be a good starting point. Most of it is transferable to other cars so a good investment as well. Its also all easy to bolt on!

I'm taking mine to brands on thursday, hope it doesn't rain :(

dartman

I was lapping at 1.03 which was the same as another Saxo and the xr2 (147) bhp so I made all my ground under breaking and in the corners. I was just looking for a tad more down the straight, I'm happy with handling and there arnt many more things I could do to improve the braking which is excellent. Just lacking poke down the straight. It's not a disaster just very donwheartening when you work hard to close up through the turns only to see then disapear into paddock! But I guess that's racing! Thanks for all the advice, and as said I'm looking for 150bhp for the next few seasons at least, I'm a big believer in "the spirit of the championship" and therefore didn't tinker with the engine to much, I would also like to stay 8v. Thanks for all the advice.

rallyeash

The man wants more power! And who doesn't...

• Like 1

hexhamstu

I was lapping at 1.03 which was the same as another Saxo and the xr2 (147) bhp so I made all my ground under breaking and in the corners. I was just looking for a tad more down the straight, I'm happy with handling and there arnt many more things I could do to improve the braking which is excellent. Just lacking poke down the straight. It's not a disaster just very donwheartening when you work hard to close up through the turns only to see then disapear into paddock! But I guess that's racing! Thanks for all the advice, and as said I'm looking for 150bhp for the next few seasons at least, I'm a big believer in "the spirit of the championship" and therefore didn't tinker with the engine to much, I would also like to stay 8v. Thanks for all the advice.

With a set of throttle bodies and ecu you should be near enough.

Mac Crash

I would also like to stay 8v.

Surely conventional engine tuning is the best as you'll need to do this anyway, ITB's for sure if you can afford that... but in the meantime make sure the engine is healthy enough then do the cylinder head, gas flowed and ported (don't polish) with steel race valves, matched guides, rimflow etc, a 270'ish cam, vernier cam pulley and decent head gasket, not sure what CR to aim for but folk here will....10.5:1 anyway - you'll also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (makes a big difference)

With a "good head" and cam it will be night and day against a standard 1.9 - but it will need to a "good head" and of course you'll need it all set up and timed by someone who knows what they're doing. If the rules allow a diff, then your throwing away time by not using one too.

welshpug

I would also like to stay 8v.

why? it seems you have the freedom to add more valves, why wouldn't you?

dartman

Multi valve engines run in a different class to dual valve, it's very complicated, also I just want to keep it in original form as possible, I would rather run carbs then bodies but Daren't mention them on this forum! Everybody always says to go for bodies, and the long and short of it is there right I just have a soft spot for carbs.

welshpug

why would you throw away power and torque and engine longevity and fit carbs?

dartman

Which is why I'm not, just saying I have a soft spot for them.

welshpug

Can't imagine why, horrible old overcomplicated things, give me a few wires and an injector any day :P