• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martycush

Clutch Issue

Martycush

Happy Easter /Holidays guys!

Another quick one..

Any ideas why my clutch has started making a strange noise when (90% of the time) pressed, no issues changing gears, and no loss of power in any gear.. Occasionally there can be a crunch while going into reverse, although I was never worried to much about that.. I'm a little worried in case it breaks down..

I drove it to a garage the other day and on arrival it was fine, so I didn't bother asking the mechanic

Could it be clutch?..clutch plate?

If it helps I could record it with my phone and upload it to youtube

welshpug

Probably the release bearing.

Crunching going into reverse is likely to be the clutch dragging a little, or you were still moving forwards.

• Like 1

Martycush

I have read a few posts regarding release bearing..

I'm not moving while going into reverse. And it only happens when the car gets to temperature

Thanks for the reply! (Again)

Martycush

Hhi Guys,

Just an update on this..

Got it booked into replace the clutch & release bearing/plate. Didn't need it, turns out the last guy working on the car only put 3 bolts in holding the gearbox, the gearbox (While pressing the clutch) was touching the flywheel. This is what was making the noise. Once bolted correctly all seems well.

Just completed a 220 mile journey at the weekend, Retro car meet!! - Great drive along the coast of Ireland.. however the gear changes aren't soo easy since the drive - Hard getting into 1st and 2nd :( joys of owning a 24 year old motor.

jackherer

It's not unusual for those bolts to loosen and fall out by themselves, sometimes it's an indication that the dowels are missing between the gearbox and engine. It might be a good move to check they are still tight after a thousand miles or so.

• Like 1

Slo

Had this problem quite a few times with my 1.9 lump and that had all the dowels in place.

Not only does it affect gear changes particularly reverse, as the box and engine seperate while pressing the clutch pedal the long offside driveshaft gets pulled out a little creating a gap in its seal and the gearbox oil drains out.

Check that your box oil. Could be the reason your having gear change trouble.