• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_john_m

Car Won't Tick Over Help

m_john_m

Not sure if I'm in the right section but I have an F reg 1.9 gti, been told it is the d6b engine.

IV had the car over a year and IV just gotten interested in it again. It starts and runs but only if I keep the revs up. The car won't tick over and cuts out at approx 1500-2000rpm.

I was going to service it to see if this helps. It been told not to until it runs right.

Any ideas how to rectify the problem? I'm not very mechanically minded so you may need to go easy with me.

Any help,would be great thanks.

Simes

Air leak?

Rhs of the plenum, there is normally a bolt that holds the oil filler to it.

Is it there?

m_john_m

Air leak?

Rhs of the plenum, there is normally a bolt that holds the oil filler to it.

Is it there?

Not sure I will have a look tomorrow.

I'm not sure how long it was sat for before I bought it.

PAGOS

As Simes has pointed out , the bolt mounting on your plenum .To check spray a little <easy start> on it .If it revs up a bit ,its drawing air . If it does , remove the bolt and re-fit with high -temp stud lock and allow to set before starting the engine . A squirt of - don't over-do it !

Clapton_Is_God

I had the same problem with mine once and it turned out to be the inlet manifold gasket.

m_john_m

Ok thanks, there's a split pipe I think that could be it, going to tape it up tomorrow and see if that works

m_john_m

Right I have a update. I checked for any splits in hoses and I couldn't find any. So I changed the sparks and put some fresh petrol in it. I turned the screw on the throttle body to try get an idle but it will not idle.

I unplugged the air control device and it would tick over but very poorly and would hardly rev.

Would sound fine when plugged back in when I revved it but wouldn't idle at all.

IV got a week before I can drive it to get it on the road! Any suggestions I can try and do? IV had it a year and not drove it so it needs to get running right ASAP!

Simes

Have you checked if that bolt is there?

Plenum, right hand side where the oil filler is attached.

m_john_m

That the screw that you are on about?

m_john_m

Anyone got a pic they can show me? I can see a bolt attached to the right of the plenum. I don't know where the oil filter is though.

welshpug

FILLER, not FILTER.

m_john_m

That the black plastic thing with the steel wire inside?

There is a bolt attached to the right hand side of the plenum. I think this is the one everyone is saying but can't upload a pic as it's too big

PAGOS

If the oil filler tower [the black plastic ------] is not attached / secured to the inlet manifold/plenum this may be a cause of your grief, as well , if it is not secured in the correct position the oil filler tube may be kinked slightly , which will constrict/reduce the crankcase breathing . Check the condition of all your vapour hoses for signs of cracking ,ensure the hose clips are good [ if in doubt chuck it out ] . but if there is a bolt sticking out and nothing attached I would be looking closer ! Peugeot weren't know to be overly generous .

m_john_m

If the oil filler tower [the black plastic ------] is not attached / secured to the inlet manifold/plenum this may be a cause of your grief, as well , if it is not secured in the correct position the oil filler tube may be kinked slightly , which will constrict/reduce the crankcase breathing . Check the condition of all your vapour hoses for signs of cracking ,ensure the hose clips are good [ if in doubt chuck it out ] . but if there is a bolt sticking out and nothing attached I would be looking closer ! Peugeot weren't know to be overly generous .

No the black thing isn't attached to the plenum. But I have noticed the pipe at the bottom of the oil filler is kinked and probably only allowing about a 50% flow rate. There is another pipe which was split at the end and cracked so I used duct tape to wrap it up (just as a temp fix) but this could be another problem. I'll have to get these ordered on Tuesday.

I'm not sure what the screw does, it looks like it fits an Alan key.

I'll see what I can do with new pipes, otherwise it's going to my uncles garage haha!

PAGOS

I just thought of something else that might help you ,.Remove the filler cap and clean it and the wire gauze with a good engine de-greaser and brush . The wire gauze acts as a vapour pressure regulator and oil catch . If this is clogged up with gunge and or MAYO , it up-sets the balance. If you need to replace the gauze ,the best option is a stainless steel pot scrubbing pad [@6 for a £1].Do not try to set up or run your engine without this in place.

welshpug

the split pipe is likely to have been a contributing factor, causing an air leak on the engine side of the AFM.

a slightly kinked oil filler wont cause issues until you try and fill it with oil, there's plenty of flow elsewhere.

the presence of gauze in the filler cap wont make any difference unless its really gunked up solid.

PAGOS

that's the screw to hold the tower. I can thoroughly recommend Baker B M for any replacement hoses .

m_john_m

Ok thanks for your help!

I will have another go tomorrow and see what I can do. I'll get some hoses and see if that helps otherwise it's upto my uncles garage!

I hope it's worth all the stress and hassle it's been causing me haha