• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hudson

Advice Needed

hudson

I'm just on with having a brand new car built for rallying and have ordered a maniflow works type manifold for the GTI6 engine but was told upon ordering that the tunnel needs modification could anyone give me some advice or pictures on the correct modification needed to the tunnel to allow this to be fit as my engine will be a while before it is ready for collection and I was hoping to get the shell finished and painted and suspension ect fit whilst waiting for the engine and gearbox.

welshpug

I would take the car to someone and have it built on the car.

hudson

Yes but in doing that I'm going to struggle to have the engine dynoed as I need an exhaust manifold to have it run in the set up so it's a bit of a catch twenty two

welshpug

build engine, fit engine, take it to get exhaust made, go to RR.

Edited by welshpug

hudson

The engine is being built professionally and like most engine builders I have seen they tend to run them up in an engine room or at least this is what this one is doing.

welshpug

In that case one would assume they will already have an exhaust manifold to suit it if they are well versed in XU 16v engines.

hudson

If you read the title it's says advice not argument thanks for your advice though most helpful

welshpug

Pardon?!

Tom Fenton

How about install the manifold on a dummy engine so you can offer it into the shell to sort clearance? Thats what I'd do if you are worried about getting the clearance right. All you really need is a bare block head gearbox and some mounts to be able to mock it up? And then as a bonus your engine can be run up with the manifold it will use in the car.

aldworth33

If it's the proper 205 gti6 conversion manifold it should fit, mines got a 4-2-1 that clears everything easily. It's a bit stupid of them selling an exhaust that to be fitted you need to modify the car, surely they could modify the exhaust to suit the car. I'm unsure of the make of mine I'll have a look through the invoices I have

Tom Fenton

If it's the proper 205 gti6 conversion manifold it should fit, mines got a 4-2-1 that clears everything easily. It's a bit stupid of them selling an exhaust that to be fitted you need to modify the car, surely they could modify the exhaust to suit the car. I'm unsure of the make of mine I'll have a look through the invoices I have

A conversion manifold that fits into the space is just that. A manifold with precise tuned lengths for 100% performance will not have packaging high on the list of priorities. A serious race rally car engine will have clearance made as needed, rather than the other way around which is doing the best you can in the space there is.

Miles

It really depends which one you have ordered, But if they know the tunnel needs to be modded they should know what needs doing so I'd ask them, if they don;t then it's slightly odd as they must have fitted one to a car to offer it for sale

hudson

The guy said the exhaust was developed with Richard long man and would require slight modification to the tunnel to allow clearance but was unsure of what it would this would consist of probably going to go down the route of dry fitting a dummy engine and see how it fits he said they did two types I opted for the works type