• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scbond

Coolant Gauge And Stop Light Sensor Wiring

scbond

Hi, Can anybody tell me where the wires for the two sensors come from? Assuming it's from the brown multi-plug on the engine bay loom but which wires are they? Can find the wires anywhere in the bay, just one single wire which dangles under the exhaust manifold and down to bottom driver's side area (oil temperature sensor?).

I have a wire there (white I think) which has had two wires spliced onto it. Both have spade connectors on, one the right size for the sensors and one is too small. If anything, it looks like something was wired in on that wire.

dobboy

iirc, there is a little shoot off from the main loom under the dizzy. It goes to a 3-pin brown multiplug, with three individual wires coming off it. Two short wires to the T-stat housing serving cooling temp (guage) the other serving the Stop light.

The third (longer wire) which i think may have a sleeve over it, drops down back of enging to oil temp sensor on back of sump.

Probably best following the oil temp wire you have to see where it leads to and take it from there, looks as though yours has been messed with at some stage.

Anthony

The coolant temp gauge and overheat warning light senders are on the back of the thermostat housing - two senders each with a single spade terminal on them.

The wiring for these on 1988 onwards 205's comes from the brown multiplugs under the dash, through the bulkhead above the clutch pedal, around the cambelt side of the engine, under the inlet manifold and into a single brown multiplug that sits near the top of the gearbox. The wiring then comes out the other side of that, underneath the thermostat housing and around the back to the sensors.

From memory, the two wires are usually red and yellow, but Peugeot weren't always consistant with wire colours.

Early cars (1897 and earlier) have the wiring coming from the passenger side of the car and into a 3 pin? brown multiplug and then to the senders.

The white wire you mention that's dangling down is probably the oil temperature gauge wire which runs along the same route. This tends to get brittle from the exhaust heat and breaks.

scbond

OK, thanks. The wire going to the oil temperature isn't the white one I don't think. The white one on the brown multi-plug is the one that's been cut and had something added across it in the past.

I'll try and get some pics now. I certainly can't see any other loose wires which could be for the stop light and coolant gauge sensors but there must be some evidence of where they were.

scbond

Ok, bit of a correction...Anthony, you're right with the yellow wire. It's the one going down to the oil temperature sensor and it's that one which has been attacked. Picture below also shows a pin with a wire missing and a cut wire. I hate this...really annoying when some moron thinks the best way to fix something is to just cut. Another fine example...yesterday I found my car has two ignition amps. One is sat on wheel arch not attached to anything and the other is where it should be. Guessing someone found a fault and simply got another and plugged it in thinking "that'll do." :(

Any ideas which pin is what? Specifically, which one is stop light and which is coolant temperature?

nlAkyjVl.jpg

jackherer

Multiple ignition amps is often the sign of an engine swap as Peugeot put it in different places throughout the years but the wiring loom will only extend to the cars original location.

scbond

Multiple ignition amps is often the sign of an engine swap as Peugeot put it in different places throughout the years but the wiring loom will only extend to the cars original location.

Don't think it goes as far as that. Just looks like there was a fault with the old one and whoever did it just tried a quick fix/couldn't be arsed and just plugged another in and left it dangling. The new one isn't fixed down or anything, just sat loose attached to the loom. Sorting that out may sort out the cold start , rough idle when warming issues I've been having. Also had complete power loss on the M1 on Sunday night, which was fun, and I'm assuming the new amp not getting cooled is the cause.