• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

High Torque Clutch Options

B1ack_Mi16

Hi.

Do anyone know if there exists readily avaliable clutch options for XU engine flywheels that will take up to around 500Nm?

petert

Surely it would have to be a twin plate, as you'd never get the diameter and clamping pressure big enough.

B1ack_Mi16

That's what I'm trying to avoid due to cost.

I just found a Valeo 2.2 HDi single mass flywheel conversion kit now that use 240mm clutch plate and comes with flywheel that fits the standard XU crank.

But hard to know when one don't know the clamping pressure. The 2.2 HDi has "only" 320Nm.

outcat-cstecdocnetowsno7F9A5BB6B0B2CD621

petert

Increasing clamping pressure usually only provides up to 10% more capacity. You're looking for approx double more capacity, thus you need to do it with number of plates.

wicked

HDI flywheels are heavy!! It's hard to make it lighter, as the clutch is mounted on the thick heavy part.

B1ack_Mi16

This one is a single mass flywheel conversion, so flywheel should not necessarily be too heavy anyway.

I agree on regular dual mass flywheels.

But dual disc clutches are also of interest, but I don't seem to find anyone that supply a kit, also preferably pull type bearing as it is for the T16.

So not too much to choose from.

wicked

I meant the single mass flywheel; I tried the single mass 307 HDI flywheel for a 2.0T conversion.

I got to work, but it was in the 10kg ballpark and not much material that you can take off. (mi16 fly is in the 6kg ball park)

So I replaced it in end with an Mi16 OMP clutch and the money on the cheap fix was wasted.

So better go for a good solution immediatly and not waste money and time (=gearbox off/on) on a cheap fix...

welshpug

Surely if they weigh that much you can take a significant amount of material off? I know the v6 flywheel you can very easily chop a whole kilo out of the back to take it from 8 to 7kilos.

wicked

In the end, it's not the weight that counts, but the inertia. And the thick ring on the outside contributes most and you cannot take that off, since the clutch is mounted on it.

B1ack_Mi16

Might buy that clutch kit and take a look at how it looks.

Maybe it even can be used by the standard T16 flywheel for all I know, which hopefully is a little bit lighter than the HDi one anyway.

Decided to start off with the standard new T16 clutch kit I have lying around, should be good for 400-450Nm.

RossD

I'll see if I can find the clamping pressure for the HDi clutch - I had a document lying around somewhere which listed them for the Valeo clutches fitted from the factory.

Edit: Found them, although I may be able to add some more later when I get home.

DW10 (2.0 HDi 90bhp) - 4700 Newtons (228mm diameter)

DW10ATED (2.0 HDi 110bhp) - 5700 Newtons (225mm diameter)

DW12ATED4 (2.2 HDi 136bhp) - 6500 Newtons (242mm diameter)

The 3.0 V6 engine also uses the same clutch as the 2.2 HDi.

Looking at the Peugeot specs for the T16 clutch on servicebox, it gives it as: 235 DT 7500, which translates as:

235 = 235mm diameter

DT = Pull type clutch

7500 = 7500 Newtons clamp pressure.

Therefore it looks like non of the HDi clutches would be suitable, the standard T16 clutch has a far higher clamp pressure than even the 2.2 HDi / 3.0 V6

Edited by RossD

B1ack_Mi16

That would've been interesting to see.

Is that the DT number printed on the pressure plate?

The T16 one has DT7500 printed on it, which I assume is 7500N ?

RossD

Thats it, you got it. I edited my post above before seeing your reply. Its only Valeo that do this, other manufacturers like LuK dont do it.

welshpug

That's a sod as I've had LUK plates in Valeo boxes and vice-versa!

RossD

For the older PSA cars, you can generally find the clutch spec on servicebox as well as printed on the clutch pressure plate. However, they seemed to have stopped doing this in the last few years. Seems to be in ServiceBox for 306's, 405's, some 205's, 406's without a DMF etc.

First section: 3 numbers are the clutch friction plate outer diamater, i.e 235

Second section: 2 letters are the clutch type, generally CP = push clutch, DT = pull clutch

Third section: The pressure plate clamp force in Newtons, i.e. 6500

235 CP 6500

I know the later 136bhp HDi's have a very high clamp force, we are talking 7500 - 8500 newtons, although I'm trying to find the exact spec. They have to deal with 236 lb/ft with a bit of a margin for more, so might be an option. I think Valeo also do a SMF conversion kit for this setup too.

Edited by RossD

B1ack_Mi16

I have one of those in my 407, 2.0 HDi 136, and sadly it is a push type clutch.

I suppose it's not too hard to convert it to a push type, but a pull type cover is prefered.

I also believe that the Peugeot Boxer might be using SMF instead of DMF on some engines and also might have some pull type pressure plates.

Haven't been able to investigate that more yet.

RossD

Yep, you're right - And when I found the spec for the DW10BTED4 it wasn't that high, 7400N, so still lower than the standard T16 clutch!

welshpug

There is a 170 odd bhp dw10 and dw12 twin turbo.

Most of them are normal push type, some with concentric slaves instead of arms.

B1ack_Mi16

Yes. Could've been interesting to know the rating on that one.

Guess it might be a bit harder, due to the fact that it doesn't use the lever arm on the release bearing, but the hydraulic slave beeing internal with the release bearing.