• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nick205

How To Undo Inner Track Rod Joint?

nick205

Rebuilding my steering rack and stumped by removing the track rods from the rack. I see there are special tools available, but is there a low cost way with ordinary tools?

Cheers

Nick

Tom Fenton

Stilsons

Like this

606.jpg

welshpug

stilsons :)

nick205

OK can get hold of those, but is it ok to just turn against the rack or is that going to damage the rack itself?

2-Pugs

No, because the joint within the bellows is a ball and cup I believe so it just spins freely either way and has no detremential effect upon the rack

nick205

No, because the joint within the bellows is a ball and cup I believe so it just spins freely either way and has no detremential effect upon the rack

This is the inner track rod joint itself (not the track rod end) I need to unscrew from the rack. i.e. The socket part of the ball and socket joint unscrewed from the internal rack in the casing.

hoodygoodwood

If the rack is on the car use stilsons on the inner ball joint body and an adjustable spanner on the rack itself , the locking washer will be damaged when the track rod is removed so a new one will be needed .

If it is off the car hold the inner ball joint body in a vice and put an adjustable spanner on the rack and then turn the whole rack - its a much easier job off the car .

nick205

If the rack is on the car use stilsons on the inner ball joint body and an adjustable spanner on the rack itself , the locking washer will be damaged when the track rod is removed so a new one will be needed .If it is off the car hold the inner ball joint body in a vice and put an adjustable spanner on the rack and then turn the whole rack - its a much easier job off the car .

Rack is on the bench so will have a go as suggested in the vice.

Job for the morning now though!

lagonda

Reviving this topic! So annoying that the Haynes manual doesn't photo this area dismantled, or with bellows removed. Instead you get photos of the intermediate column, steering column lower universal joint, and removing the intermediate shaft grommet ... all of which are bl**din' obvious!

After some struggle, I've disengaged the bellows and slid them out of the way up the tie rod, leaving the tie rod ball socket exposed. I've managed to apply my special French mole type grips (which are actually better than mole grips surprisingly), but no hint of unscrewing, using reasonable force.

Previous posts suggest use Stilsons, which I have and of course, the longer handle will give extra leverage, if I find the grips insufficient.

One post states use a spanner to hold the rack itself. Is that really necessary, or can I just continue with the grips or Stilsons? I am working with the rack on the car, and in case significant, this is the near side inner tie rod I wish to unscrew from the rack. The rack section extended from the body is circular section, however it terminates with what appears to be a nut with two flats. This is loose, in that it is floppy, not loose as in it is unscrewing. If I need to use a spanner to hold the rack itself, is that "nut" the part I need to hold? Should it be loose?!

welshpug

look at your replacement track rod and it will become quite obvious where to grab hold with whichever tool you have to hand.

lagonda

That's not the problem, as stated I already have the grips on the part to unscrew.

What I need to know is if I need to hold the rack whilst undoing the tie rod, and if so, where? The "nut" I referred to with flats at the end of the rack is loose, hence wouldn't appear to be a good place to apply strong spanner pressure. Incidentally, manual not PAS.

Ozymandis

I put racks in the vice, a quick heave on the stiltson and they unscrew without any trouble, be they loctited or lockwashered.

Never done a rack re-build whilst its on the car, I presume just heave on the stilston if theres enough room.

lagonda

Hi Jay,

Hoping to complete the job without removing the rack from the car.

Access isn't great under the car, but with it raised up pretty high I'm hoping I have the room.  Just the answer I was looking for; thanks for that.

Laurence