• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Tidy Engine Bay In 205 Gti-6

danny56712

I am currently fitting a GTI-6 engine to a 205 GTI in Ireland - Pretty rare over here now!

However car will be going for full respray and bodywork in due course but I want to give the engine bay a good "tidy".

Some items I am considering are;-

1. Replacing washer bottle with bag for under scuttle panel.

2. Re route and hide as much as wiring as possible extending looms where required.

3. Removing all unnecessary brackets in engine bay.

4. Hiding away fuel filter using smaller filter, unsure where to date.

Any ideas and suggestions to getting a clean show car engine bay in due course would be greatly appreciated.

jackherer

If you don't have the factory sunroof with vacuum tank under the scuttle panel you can fit the standard washer bottle there.

GLPoomobile

Hi

Sounds similar to what I hope to achieve after a very long winded (will be years) partial restoration of my 205 Mi16.

You don't necessarily need a bag type washer reservoir for under the scuttle, as you can make the standard reservoir fit under there if you don't have a vacuum sunroof. If you have the sunroof you'll need to either remove or relocate the vacuum chamber. You'll need to cut part of the plastic scuttle cover away at the end to make access for the filler cap though.

Hiding the wiring looms will be a challenge as there's not really anywhere in a 205 bay that they can be routed discretely. I'm a big fan of the no visible wiring approach that you see so often in the VDub scene, but I think that's achieved by running it through the chassis and adding extra bodywork in the engine bay to hide things. It's no doubt great for a show car, but you always need to think of how practical it would be for maintenance.

On mine I'm going relocate the engine loom to the NS. So that will involve re-routing the loom behind the dash and out of the bulkhead on the NS near to where the rest of the loom comes through (and obviously plugging the old hole in the OS bulkhead). Funds permitting I'm also toying with the idea of using marine spec bulkhead connectors. You fit the connector in to the bulkhead and terminate the wiring in to it, then on the engine bay side you terminate your loom into the matching connector that then locks on (often with a push and twist) to the bulkhead connector.

You'll no doubt want to move your battery to the boot to reduce "clutter".

For the fuel filter, a 106 filter is a common choice. I've also toyed with the idea of fitting mine further down the bulkhead, perhaps near the bottom, low enough that it could be accessed easily with the car jacked up but not actually under the car where it might be at risk of getting knocked.

Brake lines can be routed under the scuttle rather than across the bulkhead. I've seen another member do this.

GilesW

Can you really put a bag under the scuttle though?

Looking at the design of the bag it looked like it would only properly work hung up so fluid would remain at the pump pick up.

I'm looking to put a washer bottle in the scuttle, but due to bonnet pins from a skin bonnet in the way I need to find a smaller than OE tank to go there.

Anyone know/used one?

welshpug

I always find most alternative fuel filters far more messy than the original banjo'd unit.

Only way I see you could improve on that is to re-route some of the pipework underneath and have a filter under the boot floor.

Edited by welshpug

danny56712

Thanks for the idea re brake lines - great idea!

The obvious of the bag hanging up did not even enter my head till you mentioned it - thank you!

Battery to the boot yes or perhaps a small gel battery!

dobboy

I've just finished my brake lines. I covered them in black heatshrink and ran them through scuttle. I also re routed the wiper wires so that they enter scuttle on NS then run to wiper.

The brake reservoir wires might need to be extended as they form part of wiper loom.

I think it looks very tidy, brake pipes look brill done with heatshrink.

dobboy

How do you fill washer bottle if its in scuttle panel?

Edit, just seen how. Wouldn't be me, I imagine it would crack very easily.

Edited by dobboy

GLPoomobile

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen what I would call a tidy install of the reseroir under the scuttle. The ones I've seen look a bit messy with the cover cut away for the filler cap, and looks obviously out of place.

Ger some pictures up of your tidy bulkhead :-) (that sounds so wrong LoL).

cybernck

Interesting topic. I've often wondered about this but it's generally too much work and loosing a bit of practicality too.

Brake lines can be routed under the scuttle rather than across the bulkhead. I've seen another member do this.

I haven't seen this done but I've been toying with the same idea recently :). Great minds think alike ;).

mmcgtk

I am currently fitting a GTI-6 engine to a 205 GTI in Ireland - Pretty rare over here now!

However car will be going for full respray and bodywork in due course but I want to give the engine bay a good "tidy".

Some items I am considering are;-

1. Replacing washer bottle with bag for under scuttle panel.

2. Re route and hide as much as wiring as possible extending looms where required.

3. Removing all unnecessary brackets in engine bay.

4. Hiding away fuel filter using smaller filter, unsure where to date.

Any ideas and suggestions to getting a clean show car engine bay in due course would be greatly appreciated.

Is your 205 black?

Edp

I kept everything pretty standard when I had a 6 in my Sorrento.

I did move the fuel filter into the 'jack' position.

Image182-1.jpg

Image180-1.jpg

Image181-1.jpg

I then fitted an upturned 90 silicone hose with a universal round K&N which worked really well.

airfilter2-1.jpg

• Like 1

HERMAN

Fuel filtters can look good.

DSCF2995_zpsa2691120.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

that's much better than the push on arrangement, I like that, though I think I'd have just left it in its original spot to be honest!

johnhenry

i really like that fuel filter and connections :D

rallyeash

Does look really smart that.

My remote oil filter is fitted in that position, but that's more because of the dry sump system.

My fuel filter is fitted under the boot floor along with the Bosch pump and swirl pot.

It's surprising how much crap you can get rid of, especially when you bin the standard injection system....

frontend_zps08112346.jpg

jackherer

You're putting the fuel filter into the crumple zone which is pretty dangerous IMO. That area is designed to flatten to nothing even in a relatively minor shunt. Peugeot kept it as far back as they could for a reason.

This is my mates pug after he drove it into a tyrewall:

post-3-0-72278700-1397685203_thumb.jpg

We reshelled that car but it could have been so much worse if the other side had taken the impact.

HERMAN

Never thought of that before. I moved mine away from the bulk/ innerwing area because heat from the 6 manifold. I might put mine under the boot now.

dobboy

Herman, not sure if you can put it in the boot with a standard pump..... Something to do with the draw?

welshpug

Unless its boxed i wouldnt put it in the boot, plenty of space under the back though.

aldworth33

Fuel filtters can look good.

DSCF2995_zpsa2691120.jpg

Wish I could do this cos it looks class but that's where my pas reservoir is :/

welshpug

You can replicate that but leave the filter in its original spot.

pyrrhic

Why relocate the fuel filter from its original location? I prefer a functional looking engine. Those show engines with wires hidden don't look right to me.

dobboy

Ignore me, think I'm thinking about a pump in the bay lol

HERMAN

I was not thinking about in the boot but under it. ;)