• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
griffo71

4000-4250 Rpm Miss

griffo71

Hello everybody. As above series 1 gti (1989 Australian 1.9L 8v), misses from 4000/4250 rpm. Will rev ok beyond this tho

Bosch have bench tested the dizzy (and small wire that goes from the side to loom), I've fitted reco vac advance, new leads, new plugs, new rotor arm, dizzy cap & fuel filter.

Tachometer doesn't jump when missing suggesting ignition amp is ok?

What next? Try coil, injectors, and any hoses that may b the culprit? Also put extra earth strap from battery to body.

Checked this forum and AussieFrogs but I'm at a bit of a dead end

Ideas appreciated.

jackherer

That is the normal RPM range for ignition amp problems. Take the amp off its heatsink plate and clean the old thermal transfer paste off then reapply some new paste and see if that helps. If not try a new amp but avoid the pattern parts as they tend to be pretty useless.

griffo71

Thnx Jack.

Excuse my ignorance but is the ignition amp the small unit behind the coil that runs a cable to dizzy body?

Is thermal paste the stuff used in circuit boards etc?

Cheers Griff

welshpug

exactly that yes, has a 7 pin plug on it with a pesky wire clip.

Stu

As above, almost certainly amp related. A few folks on here may have some spares available for sale, me included. :)

griffo71

Thanks Stu & Welshpug. I'll chase one of those up here (tasmania) first and report back if either I can't find one or it fixes the issue!

Sincere thanks. Griff

mhyphenl

I had this on mine when I first got it, (newer 1.9I) but at about 2500rpm, the issue on mine was the ECU itself. If it seems really consistant in terms of when in the rev range it happens and if it happens all the time without fail then I would try and source a known good ECU, I chased my tail with this for ages! At least you can drive the car with the issue at 4250:)

What gave mine away is that the relay for the fuel pump clicked at that point everytime!

griffo71

Ok. Have a good coil and ignition module from a local enthusiast. Will fit these up and - hopefully, have good news to close the thread.

Fingers crossed :)

griffo71

Just to update members

Changing the coil over has seemingly cured the missing and hesitation. Took it for a 100+km drive this afternoon.

Great to keep on the gas thru 4, then 5 tho revs :)

No hesitation/miss

Hopefully stays that way

Many thanks to those members who contributed to the thread

Griffo

jackherer

Good news :)

I'm surprised it was the coil and not the ignition amp though based on the symptoms. Or did you fit the amp you got too?

griffo71

Just the coil did the trick. I gave up trying to figure the wire clip on the amp :)

(Still have the spare amp if mine prooves faulty tho)

griffo71

Okay then. No suprises then- started the miss again (bit like a rev limiter)

So. I'm in the UK for a couple of weeks and will bring back an ignition amp to Tasmania. Are the ones on eBay UK good enough or are there better ones?

The 205 will have new clutch, short shift, engine mounts and seals installed whilst I'm over here so will b good to finally get rid of this dreaded miss!

(Oh! Apparently it's a series 2 1989 model)

Many thanks

Griff

Henry 1.9GTi

I bought a genuine bosch item for £50 and it still didn't work. Had to get a second hand one off here to fix. Not trying to convince you by saying that... but I do have a spare that worked fine before removal. It is from an Mi16 however, can anyone confirm if they are the same?

After £10 if you can collect whilst your in the UK.

Anthony

8v and 1.9 Mi16 ignition amps are the same - later 2.0 Mi16 are different.

Henry 1.9GTi

its for a 1.9Mi16 so all good :)

PM me if you'd like it. Can post if easier.

griffo71

Thnx Henry.

Returned from Wales a month ago and fitted it up between house reno

Ur amp works well and the annoying miss has gone. Good timing (no pun intended!) as car is for sale & bloke came to look at it Sunday.

When the returned from test drive exhaust was a bit smokey under load - valve stem seals, oil breather hose...?

Ah the 'joys' of ownership! Can't wait to shift it as eyeing off an e3 bmw which r still good value in Australia :)

Thnx to all for assistance

Griff