• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pyrrhic

Understanding Ignition Wires

pyrrhic

My 309 has a problem now where the key is stuck on the ON position, it won;t rotate counterclockwise to come out, only clockwise to start the engine. That means when I want to turn the car off I have to either drop the clutch to make it stall, or open the bonnet and pull out the coil wire.

The car is a cheap beater and I am really not looking to spend too much money on it. What I want is to wire in a switch that would simulate the key being removed from the ignition.

I see on the steering column there are five wires coming from the ignition switch: four white ones (none labeled), one yellow (labeled 94 02A) and one orange (labeled 93 01D). Two of the white wires lead to a 4-lug brown plug, and they connect at positions 1 and 4. The other two white wires and the yellow and orange connect to a 4-lug white plug. White wires at position 1 and 2, orange on 3, yellow on 4. (see pictures below).

CameraZOOM-20140406213051853.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140406213058728.jpg

To which one of those wires would I add a switch that would do the same thing as removing the key, essentially killing the engine and turning off all electrical circuits?

pyrrhic

Nobody? I am not looking to hot wire a Pug, just wire in a switch to my car. A reply by PM would be OK if you don't want it public. I won't share it here if that's the case.

dobboy

Have you looked at Haynes?

Difficult to tell looking at Haynes on my phone but you might need to fit a double pole switch as the feed might be doubled up.

Does it need to be one of those wires you need to cut into?

Depending on what Ph of car you have you could cut into, and extend wires to suit where you want the switch, one of the wires at the brown plugs near heater matrix. As the cables are smaller down there it might be easier for you to terminate a switch etc. Only thing it might leave ignition lights on.

pyrrhic

I have the Haynes and was lookign at the electric diagram, couldn't figure out which wire is which as there is no wire color diagram...

Tom Fenton

A switch that will take the large current required will probably be as expensive as getting hold of another ignition barrel. Just get a second hand part and mend it properly.

• Like 1

koti

You've probably sorted this now, but I've just installed an FIA kill switch in my phase 1 205 and the yellow wire controlled the switched live to the coil- cutting that stops the car running. Presume it'll be the same with yours...easy enough to check with a power probe though