• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martycush

Stop Light

Martycush

HI Guys..

I need a pointer/Some help.

My Pug has been doing this from day one, when its warmed up and sitting idle the stop light & temperature light will blink. Also the temperature gauge will also start to move toward the right. Danger side!

I have just got the temperature sensor changed and also a coolant pipe. I was thinking possible radiator fault?

I have attached a pic of the lights, if anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Marty

Martycush

I forgot to attach the photo.. sorry, not sure how to edit and add it.. :(

Edited by Martycush

PAGOS

Is your fan coming on ? Check the fuse , if ok check if the fan is getting power . If you are stuck let me know .im in ballymena .

Edited by pug_ham
bold & caps lock off

Martycush

Thank Eric, I will check this and let you know!..

Very much appreciated.

Martycush

Hi Eric, I swapped the fuse with the electric windows one and the windows still work so I'm guessing still the same..

More info on the problem.. It only happens when the car has heated up.

The gauge will start to drop back to normal when the car goes back in motion

Ps I haven't a clue when it comes to mechanics

Marty

joshsnoad

sounds like fan to me. run the car up to temperature and see if the fan cuts in before the temperature starts going into the red. if the fan doesn't come in switch off quick and let cool down

Martycush

I just took it for a quick drive, got it up to temp and brought it back to my garage. Switched it off and no sound of fan ..

I tried getting at the fans but the screws are not turning just ringing, I've sprayed them with wd40 until tomorrow.. Haven't a clue what to do when I get in tho lol just knock on a few things and see if they start working again lol.

I appreciate your input!

Martycush

Strange how the gauge drops while I'm driving though, only rises while I'm stationary.. Definitely no fans moving (certainly not that I can hear off)

aldworth33

The gauge drops when your driving as the radiators being cooled by the air passing thru it faster unlike when your stationary so deffo a fan fault.

Martycush

Ok I understand now. I'll get the front off and have a look.

Thanks

Edited by Martycush

MikeC

The switches ain't expensive. I got an intermotor one, and it was about €12. Don't think i need it either. There are two types of connector though.

• Like 1

Jme

if its still doing after the fan switched has been changed check the themostat opening as i had a sticky themo changed it for 8 pounds probz solveld

• Like 1

Martycush

Seems it was the switch on the radiator?. Now the fan kicks in when it gets to temp. The stop light still flickers when it's up to temperature tho.. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for the help guys, main thing seems sorted I don't think this is to much of a drama

dcc

could be low oil pressure :)

• Like 1

PAGOS

As Dan said ,it could be low oil pressure . Where is your temp gauge pointing when the fan switches on ? I did a quick check with my mates' catalogue and there were several switches listed ,varying in on/off temperatures and on/off differentials . The seal/washers on the switch are coloured coded to indicate the operating temperature of the switch . Also their is the chance that the sender for the dash warning light is wrong .

Slo

Could also be idling too low what revs does it sit at when warm?

Martycush

Don't know where to start with the oil pressure.. Google I suppose lol

Don't think it's the revs, I hear what ur saying though. Only happens when the engine has a done a few miles and has heated up, rev counter sitting around 1.5-2

Martycush

idle revs are lower than what i said.. pic attached, the oil gauge top left only moves when hard acceleration? - Maybe that has something to do with it.

Cheers for the input guys, much appreciated!

Marty

post-24946-0-47428700-1397246477_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martycush

dcc

Maybe your oil switch and sensor wires wrong way round. But no warning light is on. Gahhhh

Alastairh

Check your oil pressure gauge wire isn't damaged, crushed and touching metal work.

Edited by Alastairh
  • Like 2

Martycush

Seems I cought the pic of the lights off they we're flicking

Martycush

Ok I'll get it checked.. Do you think that would play a part in the lights in dash?

dobboy

I'm almost certain the stop light is controlled by the larger of the two sensors under the dizzy.

The shorter of the two operates the gauge.

The little red light on the gauge is controlled by the expansion tank float switch.

The rad/fan is totally independent of these coolant sensors.

The oil temp sensor found at the back of the sump shares the same little bit of loom as the two coolant sensors under dizzy, these wires were baked on mine and covered in oil from a previous O ring failure in the dizzy.

Clean everything and re-wire the sensors and I bet your problem will disappear. It's an easy task.

• Like 1

Martycush

Easy when you know how Jack lol - Now if it had a keyboard and mouse lol

Cheers!

dobboy

All you need is 3 short pieces of 1.5mm wire about 2ft long, 3 straight through 1.5mm crimps, and 3 female spade connectors, and a pair of plyers.

Disconnect one wire at a time, cut it, and replace it.

If you can't do that then best put it in to a garage.