• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

Keeping Release Bearing In Situ

Gman

Fitted my quaife and have just refitted the box and bolted it all up etc to find the clutch arm just swings back and forth with no resistance.

I take it from this the release bearing has become unseated from the clutch fork. It looks like the whole box will need to come off again (vts box on gti6 engine so no inspection plate), but what can I do to guarantee the release bearing won't come off again at installation?

Perhaps some thin thread tying the bearing to fork which will break once pressure is applied?

So gutted it's all got to come out again!!

welshpug

which clutch are you using?

Gman

Mi16 clutch

welshpug

its its the usual BE3 type then the bearing should clip onto the fork and stay there unless you disturb the arm whilst fitting the box.

Mad Scientist

I always tie the release arm to part of the box. Stops it moving and prevents this happening. Very frustrating problem!

Gman

Thanks for the replies. Really not quite sure it happened, but I removed the gearbox again and somehow the release bearing was behind the clutch fork!

One of the clips on the bearing was broken so I'll order a new one and try it all over again. I think I'll also keep the clutch arm off until the box has been fitted to avoid any further f*** ups!

Gman

Oh, and when putting the box on, is it easier to go diff in first or last?

welshpug

Speedo housing off, diff up over subframe.

Mounting stud removed helps but not absolutely neccesary.

Gman

Thanks mei. I find the mounting stud is a right pain getting in and out. I didn't realise you could remove it - just a simple spanner job I assume or is there a funny tool I need to use

welshpug

A deep 6 sided socket, 16mm iirc, or some stilsons if it hasnt been out for a while.