• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anulfo

Battery Relocation To The Boot

Anulfo

Just wondering if there is a definitive guide to battery relocation? Including all wires that are needed for the job. Have already done a search and there are some snippets of info but nothing too substantial.

stef205

Last time i did it i used 2 or 4 awg power wire used in car stereos, i found it flexed alot easier and soldered well. I used the bonnet cable grommet as it wasnt being used and used a bmw terminal block under the bonnet.

Slo

I have taken all the battery wiring from a bmw soft top, it has a really thick cable that easily reaches the boot and a thin accessory cable that can be used seperately. The beauty of bmw wiring is it uses a proper termination block in the engine bay that you can use to put jump leads on when needed and tidies it up nicely. I've sunk the wiring under my carpet but that's as far as i've got upto yet as i cba to sort out a battery box. Wiring cost me £20 including the termination block

Jme

i just done it the pikey way 15m of welding cable a kill switch and ring termals for the local car shop and got a bloke down the ship yard to crimp em on nice cheap and easy

jdt

If you are using one of the small dry cell batteries you can put it in the passenger footwell mounted on the front of the footrest which keeps cable runs short and you don't need such thick cable

205monster

ive done mine, cheapest way was to buy a set of jump leads, and remove the ends. also i fitted a audio fuse to the battery box, as you press a button and it breaks the circuit. so when im not using it, its an easy way to stop the battery gong flat. i will take some pics. mine also goes into the dash to a fia kill switch. and earthed in the boot on a audio earth point.

205monster

ok,here is the fuse on my battery box, the earth point, and kill switch pics.

Photo06-04-2014085330.jpg

Photo06-04-2014085349.jpg

Photo06-04-2014085531.jpg

• Like 2

jackherer

Where did you get the fuse/circuit breaker?

jackherer

Thanks, is yours the 100A version? It's hard to see in the photo.

Have you had it installed long and has it been reliable?

205monster

yeah mine is 100amp. its been in since before xmas and been out a few times, but in two weeks im at a track day so that will be its main run. i click the lever down to make the connection, and car starts first time, never had an issue with the battery. then push the button and connection is broken, nice and simple.