• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jdt

Engine Rebuild Parts Suppliers

jdt

Where is the best place to buy parts to recondition a 1600cc 8V engine, bearings, liners piston rings etc.

Not found a lot on-line, assume genuine PSA will be expensive, had a quote from F W Thornton but still looks expensive.

My rally car engine blew up on sunday and I need to find some parts or a known good engine.

Any top tips?

Edited by jdt

welshpug

never assume!

for many parts, they are quite reasonable, however for most of the bits including crank seals gaskets etc I and DCC have used south wales pistons in Cardiff a few times over the years.

are your liners worn? if they are I wouldn't hold too much hope that the pistons are servicable as well.

I do have several pairs of the main crank hockey stick seals as they only come in packs of ten IIRC, so I have many spare, I think they are about £2 a pair.

Miles

Pistons hardly give any issues, Not sure if 1.6 ones are around unlike 16v ones, Liners are dirt cheap so much it's not worth honing old ones, Bearings I'd get who ever does your crank to order them, But I do have a set of 1.6 bearings from years ago, Cannot remember the size but would be cheap

jdt

Thanks for the info, I have used South Wales Pistons before but normally use Mike Harris at Lyons Engineering, Brynmawr.

One of my pistons does not exist anymore! head and liner are scrap also

Miles, where do I get the dirt cheap liners from?

I will take the 1.6 bearings if they are cheap - PM me the details please

I have sourced a s/h engine but would like to rebuild it to prevent a repeat.

mrfirepro

these are the prices I paid recently (1.9 8v)..RS Engine Supplies (Ashford, Kent) If you have trouble finding them I'll dig out there number

Rings - £49.87

BE - £29.46

Mains - £28.68 (half/Half or 4P/6G)

Washers - £9.46

All gaskets/seals and O rings - £68.50 (he said there are cheaper, <£45 but would not recommend them)

Head Bolts - £15.91

Liners - £29.86 ea

All plus VAT and delivery

I have a new set of Head Bolts you can have for a tenner (plus postage)if needed.

I have now fitted all of the above and had no problems with any of them. however I think miles did advise me the rings were at the cheaper end of the market.

My only advice would be to use the Pug Hockey Stick seals as the aftermarket ones are almost impossible to fit (well for me anyway)

I also have some used pistons that have cleaned up well, assuming they are the same for 1.6 and 1.9 (others will confirm)

Edited by mrfirepro
  • Like 1