• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest E967XUA

Bodyshell Differences

Guest E967XUA

I'm trying to get a decent bodyshell for my 1900GTI but all the actual GTI ones seem shagged (or really expensive), what differences are there on a standard bodyshell, as I could get a late 1.1 or whatever dirt cheap and ditch the running gear. I know the arches are different, but don't know what the difference is... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guest Rub1X

back arches ( more square and smaller ), subframe , rear torsion ect , engine mounts , all suspention , sun roof ( sometimes ) ,rear side windows , dash ( gauges ) ....

Thats all i can think of.

If u are gona ditch all the running gear , then get a 5 door shell ( ive allways liked them , and used to own a 5 door gt ) , be different!

Peace my man , good luck!

Rub1x_reuben

Guest E967XUA

it's for rallying so it's gotta be a 3 door...

Hilgie

Only the rear arches are different then. I assume you'll fit GTi front wings? And ditch all the running gear (incl fuel tank and wiring loom).

Guest E967XUA

well i was hoping to get away without having to do any spraying, what's the difference between the arches and front wings on the 2 types of cars... any piccies etc would be good to help explain.

Cheers

Alan_M

Front wings are bigger, may also be slightly wider too (to cover the bigger wheels??).

Also, the little bracket under the front arches might not be on the 'lesser' 205 models. Not too sure either. Its the little bracket that holds the brake pipe union where it turns to flexible hose.

Sam

Rear arches cut differently on the gt

Front brake pipe to flexi mount on inner wing

Non TU engined base model 205s will have different drviers side engine mount

Front wings have holes for kit in on gti (as do the rear)

Subframes are also different and the rest of the suspension setup is different too

Sam

jj205
Rear arches cut differently on the gt

Front brake pipe to flexi mount on inner wing

Non TU engined base model 205s will have different drviers side engine mount

Front wings have holes for kit in on gti (as do the rear)

Subframes are also different and the rest of the suspension setup is different too

Sam

:mellow: yes i the rear quarter panels have the holes in for rear body kit. Ive wondered how the holes are drilled for non gti body kits. I know there is a gti arch kit that glues on, so you dont need holes. I suppose one way of doing it is to go to a scrappy take off the kit, and make a template off a 1.9gti using card, so you can drill onto your non GTI shell.

try looking at this site http://www.205gti.com/main_uk.htm

It has a van that is being converted into a GTI van, There are some other good conversion stories on there, really good website :rolleyes:

I would also imagine that there will be various studs and threaded hole in and around the body for things to connect to.

Id imagine the hardest bit would be wiring, id imagine your putting in a GTI wiring harness, new dash, digital clock, rev counter etc, Its possible But for the time being im sure you can find a reasonable GTI that isnt to rotted, in a few years id imagine most people will start doing this.

Good luck

Jonathan :rolleyes:

Bally

Hey mate.I am doing the exact same thing and very near to completion. I chose a late model diesel, due to the fact that it already carries the phase 2 dash, correct engine mounting positions and already having correct fuel lines in place.I put in the gti fuel tank, complete gti rear and front suspension, and transferred the complete wire harness. I also cut adjusted the rear back fenders.I did a post on here showing the body, you can search for it

Sign in to follow this