• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jj205

Help With Locking Wheel Nuts

jj205

:D Hi my mate has just bought a new 205 gti, and only had it a week, when we decicieded to remove the wheels for new trres, except they have locking wheel nuts on. He rang the person he bought it off and hes lost it. Its not the standard speedline wheels but some other one, so the studs are down a fairly deep bore in the wheel.

The locking nut has three holes in it, round holes in a triangle shape. Is it possible to buy these locking wheel nut adaptor tools so we can remove the stud. When you but a certain type of locking wheel nut,are are they all the same shape the holes, or does every set have different hole offsets,

Failing not getting the tool, is it just a matter of knocking on a socket or drilling it out. Can you buy just the adaptor tools from some where, or does anyone know where to get a new set with the same three holes in it. Ive no experience with using these locking nuts so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Jonathan :D:angry:

jj205

:o Anyone any idead before we start trying to cut the things off, has anyone got the three round hole type locking nuts, does anyone know if you can get the keys for these types of locking nut, or if its lost have you simply had it, and have to start cutting and drilling ETC.

Thanks

Jonathan :rolleyes:

pug_ham

You can get a special tool for the removal of these types of locking wheel nut but failing finding any tyre dealers with one but another method I've heard used is getting an 18mm 12point socket & hammering it over the locking nut will grip it enough to remove it ( but kill the socket)

Graham.:rolleyes:

jj205

:o hi im not having much luck in another topic with my problem, but can someone here help. Its my Mates GTI, he has a locking wheel nut on every wheel and no key to get them off. Is it possible to get a replacment key to remove these dam things. They have three round holes in a triangle shape these locking nuts.

Does anyone know where i could buy a key to remove them or another set like this, ive tried Halfords. Otherwise i guess it going to be cutting and drilling, Probably new wheels then. Id just like to say ive never had locking nuts and know nothing about them.

Thanks

Edited by jj205

jj205

Cheers for that, it looks like we are going to kill four sockets then, My mate is off around some tyre place tommorro to see if he can get a attachment. They are so annoying when you lose the end.

Thanks for giving me the socket idea didnt think of that, hope it works and the previous owner has not tightened them super tight.

Thanks

pug_ham

No worries, using a socket looks to be the best idea, also mentioned here. If you are lucky you might be able to get them all off with one socket.

Guest macatac14

If the adapter key is lost that means you won't be able to get a replacment key,forget about cutting and drilling, diy tools are not up to the job these things are rock hard, you need an air compressor and a air chissel,take the car to a local garage and let them have a go, i had the same problem,it took my local garage a good 35mins to get them off,and that was with the tools i mentioned above.

good luck.

Edited by macatac14

atomic-jon

jonathan, try, using a lump hammer, knocking on a socket that is slightly smaller than the head of the locking nut, thats what ive done in the past, and it worked a treat.

this post will be moved to the appropriate section soon

Guest bazwad

hi

Theres a couple of ways of doing this

Using one of those universal socket things like this I have heard this tool sometimes works.

But i have always found using a GOOD punch that can fit into one of the recesses of the bolt and striking it at an angle with a hammer. Then when its loose I use some mole grips to spin it off.

The only thing you have to prey for is that some animal hasnt tightened them up!!

if you have drums on the back you could also take the wheels of with the hubs still on.

Its nots not easy

good luck!!!

Bazwad

jj205

Cheers Guys :rolleyes: , This forum is brilliant, That multi purpose socket sounds just the thing i need, although im going to try the socket hammering idea first. Sorry about posting in the wrong section ithought no one was answering in the other one, sorry i was a bit impatient.

Ill see how it goes tommorro then, im sure he can wait a few more days for his tyres. Thanks agian

Jonathan :o

Guest simmy

note u might find it a bit hard to get the socket off the bolt once its on, you may even need one socket per wheel so try n use a cheapy socket if possible. i have the same problem and have simply left the wheels on, though a few ppl told me that an AA bloke can get them off?? that was when i posted the same topic on this forum, but still i aint tried it yet

as for the gator grips, i was gonna try one but u gotta wonder if the outer diameter of the universal socket will be small enough to fit in the hole in the wheel whilst remaining big enough to fit over the locking nut! :S

let me know how u get on pleeeeeeeease so i know the best way to approach doing mine! :rolleyes:

pug_ham
:o hi im not having much luck in another topic with my problem, but can someone here help.

Topic that you weren't having much luck with merged with this one so you can read the same answers twice.

Leet205

simmy just ask you local kevs. they'll have them off in unver 1.3 seconds.

Guest puggti

Ive seen Locking wheel nut removers on Ebay selling for under 20 quid, quite scary really but might help you!

jj205
note u might find it a bit hard to get the socket off the bolt once its on, you may even need one socket per wheel so try n use a cheapy socket if possible. i have the same problem and have simply left the wheels on, though a few ppl told me that an AA bloke can get them off?? that was when i posted the same topic on this forum, but still i aint tried it yet

as for the gator grips, i was gonna try one but u gotta wonder if the outer diameter of the universal socket will be small enough to fit in the hole in the wheel whilst remaining big enough to fit over the locking nut! :S

let me know how u get on pleeeeeeeease so i know the best way to approach doing mine! :D

Hi, ive found this tool for removing locking wheel nuts, it works by threading its self onto the locking nut in the opposite direction that you turn to remove it, so undoing it. Its 20 Quidso not to bad, first im going to try asking a few tyre places to see if i can lend one, its makes you wonder why people bother fitting them in the first place, i suppose it makes it that much harder to steal them, as you average robber will go for easy jobs first.

The tool is for sale at

http://www.difflock.com/cgi-bin/wm10/wm10_...5001&item=DF181

So now non of us should have any problems with locking nuts again, <_<:(

Jonathan :o:):P

Edited by jj205

Guest hd_andy

By the sound of it (three holes in a triangular arrangement) you have got mcguard loacking wheel bolts, in which case you may not be able to use the tool that you have described as the bolts are hardened to stop the use of such tools.

When I had my 306 I had the mcguard wheel bolts, and they were deep holes in the alloys, so the tool would not fit.

The best way IMO is to tighten the other three bolts then knock a slightly smaller socket onto the bolt as described above. Stick with it though because it doesnt always work the first time

Hope you get it sorted.

Andy

pug_ham
By the sound of it (three holes in a triangular arrangement) you have got mcguard loacking wheel bolts

They sound more like the Tri-loc ones that used to be fitted right from the dealers.

Most of the Pugs I've seen have had these one's fitted anyway.

Graham.:(

Sign in to follow this