• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugfrank

Coolant Leak

pugfrank

So after doing all the house tasks this morning I finally get the chance to knip out for a little drive in the pug :D. I open the garage door to find a puddle of coolant on the floor! :( So after a little look I first see I have a leak from the lower metal hose as the jubliee clip holding rear lower hose on has rusted right through, so that was a quick fix of a new jubliee clip. I then noticed coolant dripping down from the rear of the sump. I jacked the car up and got my head underneath, the picture below is the suspect area! its a blue staining on the block and the coolant was steaming off from me running the car to make sure the first hose repair had worked.

Ok so I cant seem to upload the image at moment, so I will try to explain as best as possible. Its the area just right of where the dipstick enters the block, their are three ribs in the block and you an see what I presume is the bottom of a head bold in casting, its an area about 100mm buy 200mm that is stained crusty blue with coolant I cant see the coolant coming from above ie the line of the cylinder head.

Any ideas?

welshpug

is it coming from the Headgasket join, or lower down?

it is relatively common to see blocks cracking across the base of the liners, basically the headbolts pulling that section off the lower half of the block!

pugfrank

lower than the head gasket, very isolated to the area I have tried to describe.

cracked block is that a scrap it job then?

pugfrank

just pm you the photo hopefully welshpug. hope you don't mind.

pugfrank

so why cant I paste the IMG link from photo bucket in to my thread?

welshpug

I have no idea, you're probably doing it wrong! god knows how, as it showed up in your PM fine :lol:

fa7cb6ee-18ef-4033-bb05-bf2141e10f67_zps

Edited by welshpug

pugfrank

how strange, well there is the photo, thank you for that. :)

Slo

Give it a wire brushing then grab a small laptop and drop a webcam down the back to see whats going on, might need a good light as well.

Hopefully it wont look something like this which is pretty much terminal

48467d1380700308-205-gti-water-exi-back-

Edited by Slo