• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tcr

Finally Got The Water/meth Kit Fitted

tcr

Made the most of the sun and set to work getting it installed and wow what a difference it's made

post-23755-0-74291100-1394656137_thumb.jpg

post-23755-0-32331700-1394656272_thumb.jpg

post-23755-0-37374900-1394656304_thumb.jpg

post-23755-0-55281100-1394656332_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

aldworth33

My mate Jamie's got one of theses on his st (one of, if not the fastest in the UK) he said it made a huge difference top. You'll need to get it on a dyno

tcr

It's booked in next week with Clive at Autotronix , I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what difference it's made as it was running intake temps of over 90 degrees before

stef205

are you running that directly through the charger?

tcr

The injector is fitted pre-charger to help cool the charger itself and creates more boost

stef205

It will strip the coating off the charger if your not carefull, as will petrol and brake cleaner

tcr

The rotors are Teflon coated and although it will erode the coating eventually the meth evaporates too quickly to get at the bearings and cause any major damage

allanallen

I'm viewing this in my phone so I'm possibly missing some info but..... What engine is this fitted to? A wild stab in the dark says it's supercharged?

stef205

its the teflon coating it will kill. Once the coating has gone the tolerances on the rotors will be out and you wont get much boost out of it.

tcr

The system only starts spraying once the boost reaches 2psi which means unless the car is on the track the actual amount being injected is very limited , it will take a long time to have any effect plus with the amount of mini superchargers being sold the pros outweigh the cons for me

allanallen

I'm confuzzled, why does it only make 2psi unless it's on track? Why've you fitted a water/meth kit? Is it not intercooled? Not mapped correctly?

No offence but IMO a water/meth injection kit is just masking an underlying problem.

tcr

2psi is only when the meth starts spraying , on full throttle it makes 11psi but if I drove around on full throttle all the time I'd lose my licence .it runs intake temps of over 90 degrees but the charger is fitted directly onto the plenum so there's no where to fit an inter cooler that's why I'm running the water/meth , there's no underlying problem just an inherent problem of superchargers

stef205

id personally look at running an intercooler, id rather spend my money making or having another inlet made. My inlet temps are between 5-15deg with the same charger. Also sounds like your over revving the charger if your getting 11psi. As allen say your really only masking the issue.

allanallen

No intercooler explains it then, I understand the problems with superchargers as my mi16 has an intercooled m45 fitted. I'm sure you drive it on the road at much more than 2psi though, it just seemed a

strange statement.

Water/meth is obviously the only route you can go without completely re-doing the conversion. It's just unfortunate as stef points out that it might upset the rotor coating.

What CR is the engine and what sort of powers' it making at 11psi? Gotta be comfortably over 200 donkeys?

allanallen

id personally look at running an intercooler, id rather spend my money making or having another inlet made. My inlet temps are between 5-15deg with the same charger. Also sounds like your over revving the charger if your getting 11psi. As allen say your really only masking the issue.

An 8valve isn't shifting as much air as a 16v stef so 11psi is plausible without over revving I rekon, also explains the high inlet temps as they really start heating up after 9-10psi!

A hi ish compression 8valver would make mega power at 11psi if you can keep it cool though :)

tcr

It was making 187bhp 182 ft/lb torque with max 9psi before water meth but it's on the rollers next week to get set up properly so I'll find out more then

tcr

This is why an inter cooler isn't an option post-23755-0-04075600-1394753001.jpg

Biggles

You could fabricate a new plenum and fit the air-to-water intercooler off the VW 1.2TSI or 1.4TSI into it - they're quite compact as they're designed to fit as part of the inlet manifold. I've got a spare one in the garage if you're interested in some photos (or indeed want one).

tcr

It might be something to look into next winter as I've got quite a few outings booked this year