• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
liamb

Help Or Advice Needed

liamb

driving home the other day and basically the car cut out wouldn't restart wouldn't bump battery light was on so when I finally got the car home took battery off charged it over night next day put it back fired up straight away but went to drive it it was lumpy didn't back fire or stall every time you put your foot on throttle it was taking in air and there was no response also I could smell fuel so obviously its over fueling ive checked

temp control sensor

crank sensor there fine it had plugs leads dizzy rotor changed less than 1000 miles ago also had timingbelt tensioners waterpump changed roughly 200 miles ago could it be either afm or throttle body

my car is 309 with mi16 alloy block 1905 on 16v management

dobboy

If the battery light was on, is it not worth checking the alternator/battery terminal voltage when it's running?

I think it should be around 14.4v with no load/lights etc,... Maybe someone can confirm.

If a couple of volts less your alternator might be goosed.... Or needs new carbon brushes.

liamb

ill check that tomorrow

Edited by liamb

Roon

Is it a gti6?

I had the alternator wire snap that runs under the Inlet on mine and pretty much same symptoms.

Slo

It will certainly light up the light on the dash, check your shunt box is secure and none of the cables that go to it aren't touching an earth.

Quick alternator test, start it up pull off a battery terminal, engine runs alternator working, engine stop alternator goosed.

pug_ham

Is it a gti6?

my car is 309 with mi16 alloy block 1905 on 16v management

:rolleyes:

Check the gearbox earth stud & lead are tight, if they are loose the earth strap can make intermttent contact which causes spurious issues with starting & running.

g

liamb

checked the earths the other day gearbox earth is fine and also checked stud and lead there fine im going to check alternator this afternoon

Roon

As above I also had that interesting getting and loosing power around a round about!

liamb

checked battery and alternator there fine it was reading 14v also throttle body and oil filler cap and breather pipes were full of a light browny gunk there has always been a bit of gunk in filler cap due to condensation as I use it as a second car but never seen this colour before