• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pyrrhic

309 Key Stuck In Ignition

pyrrhic

Another problem with my Pugs... I just drove my 309 and the key is stuck in the ignition. I can turn it to start the engine, and to the ON position, but not to the OFF position, and I cannot pull the key off the key hole. I had to kill the engine by stalling it, and also had to pull the negative cable on the battery to prevent the battery from draining.

Is this a case of the key not being a perfecft fit for the key hole (not original key), or an electrical fault of sorts? I will have to lock the car using another key, with this key in the ignition tonight, not an ideal situation...

allanallen

Well you need the key in the ignition to remove the barrel so it's lucky it's stuck in rather than out!

I'd say swap the barrel and key, it's more than likely collapsed inside

Slo

More than likely you have been nailing the lights and heater non stop and the ignition switch on the back of the lock has melted together in situ. Done any long trips recently?

pyrrhic

@Slo: You're kidding right? Is this car made of chocolate? No long trips, it's mostly my daily driver, to and from work, about 20 miles a day. I got a Saab 9-5 for the long distance drives.

Slo

No not kidding had to replace a xsara picasso ignition switch that had gone exactly how you are describing this stuck on running position had to stall it and take battery off. the switch on the back was like a sucked sweety it had melted so bad

Slo

Aye that's the bugger, just take it off first to see if its the barrel that's not jammed

B1ack_Mi16

Something like this happened on my track-car.

I mounted a braned new Valeo lock set to the car. After driving a total of 5000km or something like that I parked it one night.

Took key out. Went to sleep. Morning after I put key in, turned it and started. It was not a problem to stop the car as far as I can remember, but the key were totally stuck inside the barrel anyway, so had to take it out and replace with new lock.