• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATK

Vac Advance - Test / Is Va Needed Or Not?

ATK

Potching about today, and noticed the pipe leading from the vac advance (under the dizzy) wasn't connected - should it be connected to the throttle body?

Is the test to blow through it to see if there is any resistance - if so, does the engine need to be on?!

If it's busted do I actually need to replace it - what will it affect (not too bothered about fuel economy)

Cheers

Alex

welshpug

You disconnect it to set the initial timing, but it should be connected.

Suck/blow through it, it it passes air its dead, I would rather it be running properly myself, just think what all that rich running is doing to your engine oil.

ATK

Blow through it when the engine is on, right?

Where does it attach to the throttle body?

welshpug

doesn't matter if engine is running or not, can't imagine why the hell you would fire the engine up to test the vacuum advance capsule* :blink:

(*its that thing on the underside of the dizzy, just a diaphragm with an arm that moves the mechanism inside the dizzy)

the hose goes to a brass takeoff on the engine side of the throttle body underneath, next to the coolant pipes.

ATK

Blown through it and there's no resistance. So looks like its shot.

welshpug

pipe connected to the vacuum advance capsule not the engine right?....

ATK

Replacement is a Bosch Part No. 1 237 123 027, right? If so any idea where in South Wales/online I can pick one up?

Edited by ATK

Daviewonder

Have you checked to make sure the pipe isn't split?

ATK

Not yet, will check tomorow when it's light....

Think part no for Bosch is 1 237 123 091 rather than 027 mind.

Anthony

H&H ignition can refurb them quite a lot cheaper than they can be bought new

Well worth having - not only does it help part-throttle response, but it also makes a noticeable improvement in fuel economy.

nveeate

Anthony - when I was trying to source one recently, everyone wanted nearly £80 (£59.50+VAT + postage). Someone I know owns a motor factors and I can get them for a reasonable amount less....approx £50 incl VAT and postage. Do you reckon it's worth me trying to set up a group buy, or do you think most people would just either not bother getting it done or go with a cheaper refurb (which I think was nearer £25, though presumably two way postage on top)?

farmer

I got two genuine Pug ones for £25 quid not to long ago if you hunt about.

nveeate

I got two genuine Pug ones for £25 quid not to long ago if you hunt about.

Ha ok, not such a great group deal to be gained perhaps! I tried approx 5 online companies that were Bosch suppliers, and several local factors (independent and larger ones like Unipart)....most said they couldn't get it, and the 3 that could all quoted the same.....£59.50+VAT. My contact got it from Bosch Germany.

farmer

A good idea in general, but with H&H offering refurbs not really required at the moment.