• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Check Light?

Bovien

Anybody know what the red 'chek' light (the top, right one) means?

I have a feeling it is related to he cat (mine is a 89, 1.9), as the engine has been changed and now the lambda sensor as well. Is there anything else down there, or what am I missing? Once in a while it can blink at startup and then not be on until the engine is restarted...

Ryan

It can mean various things - a sensor fault, throttle switch shorted out, lambda.

Does it come on and stay on, or just blink once when you switch on the ignition?

Bovien

Always on (except for VERY rarely as described)

Everything works, MOT'ed, complete engine change and all. I dont get here it can be

Anthony

Have you checked the code(s) via the two pin diagnostic connector to see what the ECU has stored?

Miles

Quite often it's the Valve that takes the fumes to the carbon canister, Not allot else lights the light up

DamirGTI

I had this EVAP code (solenoid purge valve) for quite a while on my Motronic car .. it reappeared every time after starting the engine and by bringing the revs up above 2000rmp , engine stumbled for a second and the K light lit on and was on all the time during the driving or if left idling afterwards .. haven't noticed any issues while driving , all seemed fine bar the K light permanently on .

D

Bovien

That sounds SO right, as the canister (and fittings) haven't been changed. The bottom if the canister is literally gone due to corrosion (the only on the entire car). So, I'm guessing Ill just follow the tube from the canister (don't remember how it is connected) to find a valve and a sensor? Would I be able to disconnect or short it out?

jackherer

You'll need to fit a resistor to emulate the coil in the valves relay.

Bovien

Makes sense. Any way to figure the resistance rating?

MikeC

try a variable resistor to find your resistance required. I would assume it would be a 4-20 mA signal

Ryan

200-400 ohms should do it.

Bovien

Thanks a bunch guys!

DamirGTI

Fitted 1.2Kohm resistor on mine and it did the trick ..

D

Bovien

Even better! I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. You don't have a pic of the install, do you?

Bovien

1.2kOhm worked perfectly. Thanks!