• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harrya95

1.6 Starting Issue

harrya95

Recently I've purchased a 1990 (G) 205 gti 1.6, and it's the phase 1.5 Model. The car Starts first time every time from cold and despite an occasionally lumpy idle runs really well and drives lovely too. However when cold the engine seems to flood and won't fire if stopped/stalled which can lead to some very awkward situations! It occurs when after a short journey - to for example a local shop and then the engine is stopped, i return to the car and it won't start. I've checked all the ignition components to make sure it's not an intermittent fault and it seems to purely be a cold overfuelling problem, as the car doesn't do it when properly warm. Sorry if my description is confusing or vague! Has anyone experienced this or know what's causing it, and then how much it's likely to cost to put right?

Thanks for your help,
Harry

Telf

hi there,

There are lots of threads to do with running/idling issues, I had a problem like this with my 205- would run fine then after stopping not start- for me it was the ignition barrel- basically worn and wouldn't allow the car to start- I noticed it purely because I wiggled the key and the battery light would flash- might be worth checking. also you know not to press the accelerator during start? this will cause a flooded start, if you are gassing the pedal as you turn the key you will get problems

just afew thoughts - if you cant resolve the problem it might be worth listing what you have actually checked etc

good luck

harrya95

Hi Telf,

I don't have to many idling/running issues that are similar to the other threads, this seems to be purely overfuelling when cold. And no i'm not pressing the accelerator too much, sometimes it helps to get it going if it's firing a little bit in this situation, but most of the time it just cranks over and backfires. You basically have to leave it for half an hour, come back and it starts first time. I'm wondering what's causing the overfuelling just when it's cold?

Cheers

luggy

Recently I've purchased a 1990 (G) 205 gti 1.6, and it's the phase 1.5 Model. The car Starts first time every time from cold and despite an occasionally lumpy idle runs really well and drives lovely too. However when cold the engine seems to flood and won't fire if stopped/stalled which can lead to some very awkward situations! It occurs when after a short journey - to for example a local shop and then the engine is stopped, i return to the car and it won't start. I've checked all the ignition components to make sure it's not an intermittent fault and it seems to purely be a cold overfuelling problem, as the car doesn't do it when properly warm. Sorry if my description is confusing or vague! Has anyone experienced this or know what's causing it, and then how much it's likely to cost to put right?

Thanks for your help,

Harry

When you say it wont start do you mean the engine turns over and wont fire or wont turn over?

If it wont fire then read on

Is the ignition coil on the manifold?

Clean the connections on the coil especially the king lead which goes to the dizzy.

If the fault is the same get a known good coil and test to see if both faults clear.

Sound like the coil is breaking down causing intermittant starting

With a good coil the overfuelling shouldnt stop it from starting you'd just notice poor fuel economy

DamirGTI

It occurs when after a short journey - to for example a local shop and then the engine is stopped, i return to the car and it won't start.

Could be more fueling system problem rather than ignition - leaky injectors or ECU temp. sensor perhaps .

Ignition wise , i'd be tempted to try an known good spare ignition amplifier .. they cause all sorts of starting/running issued if bad or "going bad"

D