• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roccorich

K&n Filter Fitting

roccorich

Ive just been fitting my newly acquired K&N kit today and noticed its a bit of a squeeze.

Ive now downloaded the fitting instructions and they don't show the fan relay where mine is which is getting in the way on mine and it also shows a flexible pipe to feed air to the filter.

Has anyone got any photos of how they have fitted theirs and also do you use a bit of flexi hose for a cold air feed.

Ive had to turn my AFM on its side with the plug at the bottom. ..

cheers

Edited by roccorich
  • Like 1

Bobbafett

I tried to fit my 57i kit last week. Absolute nightmare. I too have the fan relays at the front which it didn't show, and I couldn't fit my AFM in. I got so pissed off with it I reversed the whole process and threw the k and n in the corner of my garage where it still resides. A complete waste of a day and £75 but at least I changed my power steering fluid LOL

I did fit the cone at the back of the engine afterwards (took the airbox out and just clipped it onto the flex ducting) to see what it sounded like. It sounded crap in my opinion so I was glad I reversed it when i did.

Edited by Bobbafett

roccorich

I managed to squeeze it in eventually. But have had to go back to my original smaller battery which was flat so need to wait till tomorrow to see what it sounds like.

I haven't removed the AFM bracket yet which I think may allow the battery to move back more.

AlexRS2782

The only engine bay pic I took after i fitted a 57i last year, albeit on a car minus the power steering setup.

Pug205Eng16.jpg

The junction box shown in the pic was temporarily pushed under the slam panel to move it out of the way but I've since moved it back out next to the AFM at a sideways angle. I am tempted to see if I can relocate it somewhere else in or around that area / behind the bumper if I can.

The battery also has to be pushed back towards the header tank by a good inch or so to allow for the space.

I also didn't bother with the cold air feed as there isn't really anywhere decent to attach it to securely. Unless you were to remove a driving light from the front bumper and run the ducting from a hole cut where the light was.

I wouldn't say I've noticed any difference in induction noise but then my OMP exhaust is so damn loud I doubt I'd notice it anyway lol

roccorich

Took out the bracket for the AFM and the bit that goes round the back of the battery.

Then I bent the piece of bracket from the earthing point so the battery can sit right back now.

Used the mounting point for the AFM bracket to put another battery clamp on that helps keep the battery wedged over so its nice and secure.

haven't managed to get the AFM horizontal but its close enough now.

The engine bay looks much better now and it will be loads easier to work in there now.

Plus the AFM that came with the K&N seems to be set up right as my car is running better now.

pyrrhic

I fitted the kit about a month ago. My car has no power steering so I didn't have to deal with that, but I would add a warning; make sure your fan relay/shunt box is properly mounted and ensure the yellow wire connector at the relay is away from any ground sorces. Mine wasn't, which is my fault, and eventually the yellow live wire grounded on the metallic filter mount, which resulted in my battery being fried (one cell was shorted), my 205 dead on the side of the road, and the smell of electrical wire burning. At least the car did not catch on fire, which was a possibility! So, ensure your sunt box is secured after relocation!

Edited by pyrrhic
  • Like 1

pyrrhic

Plus the AFM that came with the K&N seems to be set up right as my car is running better now.

Where did you get a kit that came with an AFM?

Wallypug205

Hi where can I get the air filter cone?

welshpug

try a k&n dealer

• Haha 1