• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martycush

Kangaroo Jumping At Low Revs

Martycush

Anybody have or had this issue?

Driving in traffic is a bit of a pain, the car doesn't drive well at all, when I put the foot down its responsive and drives well as it should.

There has always been a distinctive petrol smell inside the car, maybe it's related?

Don't have a clue where to start but I did get a service done when I got her so sll the basics would be covered, in fact I believe the twat cracked the manifold while putting some new bolts on for me!

I've one on order though

Cheers guys!

Plumbob

Could be any number of reasons, they do have a reputation for being a bit lumpy around town but they shouldn't be excessively bad.

Try checking the breather / vacuum hoses for air leaks. Also I take it you mean the standard cast iron exhaust manifold is cracked? this won't be helping matters.

Another possibility could be the airflow meter (the one on my previous 1.9 was knackered and made it lumpy), but I'd get the other bits mentioned above looked at first, also get the timing checked.

Hope that's of some use, I'm sure other people may mention other things that I've not thought of.

Simes

Anybody have or had this issue?

Is it a standard 8v?

If so they did this at birth - riding the clutch is your friend.

Martycush

I have read this Simon, Id rather hear that than replace this & that - Which makes no difference

Thanks

welshpug

They only do it with fresh parts and properly setup if you're a clumsy buffoon, which if so you really shouldn't be driving a car like a 205 :P

tired engine mounts, poorly setup and tired engine management will not help.

Edited by welshpug

petert

Idle mixture too lean?

SkyQuake

I had this on mine. Tried everything from engine mounts to mixture to no avail.

In the end it turned out the be a floating throttle cable. I only had one spring clip on one side of the inlet manifold mounting, and when the engine repositioned under power (at low gear), it would unload the throttle cable, causing the engine to relax, which in turn re-applied the throttle. Hence, bouncy bouncy!

It's cheap and easy to rule this out, simply make sure that the throttle cable is pinned either side of the inlet manifold mounting, and make sure it isn't too tight where it passes the bonnet stay. Worked like a charm on mine!

Cheers,

Mike

pug_ham

In the end it turned out the be a floating throttle cable. I only had one spring clip on one side of the inlet manifold mounting, and when the engine repositioned under power (at low gear), it would unload the throttle cable, causing the engine to relax, which in turn re-applied the throttle. Hence, bouncy bouncy!

It's cheap and easy to rule this out, simply make sure that the throttle cable is pinned either side of the inlet manifold mounting, and make sure it isn't too tight where it passes the bonnet stay. Worked like a charm on mine!

This was the problem on my mums old 309 SRi (same engine etc as 1.6 GTI) but it also benefitted further from a good clean & reset of the throttle body & breather system.

g

Plumbob

I have read this Simon, Id rather hear that than replace this & that - Which makes no difference

Thanks

Um, perhaps i'm being a bit sensitive but I saw your post last night with zero views and zero replies and thought to myself "you know what, i'll try and help this guy out". So I reply telling you some sensible things to look at, some would cost pennies to fix and some a bit more (if you can't do it yourself). Yet when I check back, I see you've written this above as if what i've said isn't worth hearing... I'm pleased to see that others have said similar sorts of things to me since.

If the only advice you want to hear is "yes your car should stink of petrol and run like a bag of crap" then fine..... but I honestly believe (and know in fact) that they are better than that.

If you are stepping out of a bang up to date car into a 205 GTI then yes they are a little lumpy due to the fact they have quite old school fuel injection and a fairly sporty cam, but if you are finding yourself in any of the following situations.....

1) You're having to heal and toe when you stop at junctions because you are afraid of it stalling...

2) You have to leave that junction in a blaze of clutch slip like a granny in Morrisions carpark or leaving a rubber number 11 on the road...

3) The car smells of petrol..

4) When driven sensibly (I know its hard) you can't get your mpg into the 30's

5) Any women who drives it (sorry girls) says it's UNDRIVABLE

... then i'd say there's something wrong and unfortunately its gonna involve you spending some money to put it right.

Thats it, i'm done.

Martycush

Yeah sounds a bit sensitive to me, ffs I just asked a question, no need to take the huff because I didn't directly reply to your message.

Truth be heard I was already led to believe it wasn't a perfectly running car when at low revs.

I know it's not going to run like my BMW .. I didn't buy it for comfort..

Maybe my choice of words were wrong but what I meant was "that's what I thought"..

Yeah I was going to take your advice and get the timing checked but apologies I didn't reply with "yes thanks for the advice kind sir"

Maybe I should sit down and reply to each reply on this forum, didn't realise that was a rule! some of us are quite busy and don't get the chance to reply to each and every one. It a fecking forum.

That's me done lol

Simes

I think we've all given the OP an option, it's now up to them to decipher and work through the lists.

I am by no means right.

Plumbob

Haha, I wasn't expecting a bunch of flowers, I did try not to come across offended hence the tongue in cheek nature of my second reply. I was only trying to help.

Peace and love..

Martycush

One born every minute fella, it's like water of a ducks back..