• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mac Crash

Cooling Fan Not Coming On

Mac Crash

Cooling fan hasn't been coming on... found this broken wire today when under the car adjusting the wheel alignment.

it's a green wire coming out of the blue multi-plug fitted to the back, nearside of the radiator, is this the cause of the fan not coming on, if not then any ideas what this wire is serving? Photos are taken on my back looking upwards, thanks...

post-22670-0-70661800-1392569907_thumb.jpg

post-22670-0-27243000-1392569909_thumb.jpg

welshpug

that is the thermoswitch, so if its a fat wire its either the permanent live feed or the fan power.

Mac Crash

either way it would stop the fan cutting in? thermoswitch, right!, good to know what that is although I guess if it's plumbed into the rad then that's all it could be... the wire's broken near the end of the bullet connector, maybe not so clear from the photos... will strip back wire, sort out and reconnect and hopefully that will be one other issue fixed... thanks ;-)

welshpug

get rid of the crimps and solder it up, heatshrink over it :)

Anthony

I would imagine that wire is going to be far too oxidised to solder to unfortunately.

Mac Crash

I would imagine that wire is going to be far too oxidised to solder to unfortunately.

Yip, it is oxidised badly... but will find the best way to fix it when I get it stripped back to see the extent of it...

welshpug

Best way i have found is to find a nice late low miles base model in a breakers yard :D

Mac Crash

WP, Anthony > disconnected mutli-plug from thermoswitch and stripped back broken wire, the oxidisation was limited only to a few mm either side, replaced wire with new slightly heavier wire (all I had to hand) and made good connections again.... ran engine up to temperature and fan now coming on when it should be. There is a small cylindrical aluminum tube (looks like a long condensor) just dangling about behind the slam panel, it has a small brown three pin connector (2 pins live, 3rd pin blank/not active) on it... wiggled it around at the same time as engine was coming up to temperature and the fan came on... so not sure if combination of both has sorted the problem as the the three pin connector showed signs of oxidisation too, now cleaned contacts and all okay... what is this component? can provide photo if needed.... and it's warm/hot to touch so obviously is receiving current. Thanks for help, cooling issues now fixed.

welshpug

Its a resistor for the low speed, should have a steel clip to the top of the rad, take care handling that as they get bloomin hot, i have seen melted plugs on them from faulty wiring and thermoswitches

Mac Crash

Have cable tied it onto rear edge of slam panel out of harms way... will monitor it, thanks for that.

jackherer

It'll probably melt the cable tie!

Tom Fenton

It'll probably melt the cable tie!

It WILL melt the cable tie!!! Been there done that etc...

Mac Crash

Steel cable tie then or clip, thanks for the warning.