• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

To Anyone Considering Doing A 16V Themselves

arwel

The idea with my rally car was to drop a 16v motor in for cheap and cheerful power increase. Much more monies and months later we were into a full rebuild as we found a few things along the way that needed doing and then things that could be upgraded. It was all worth it though, as I learnt a hell of a lot about the car and pretty much know it inside out now and the end result is something that is much more competitive and so much fun to drive.

• Like 1

Mattr5uk

But this is quiet possibly the biggest problem for anyone carry out any type of time consuming project. I for one are so far under the thumb my wife controls my fingers I use to type with. Whether it's something for the house or my own "project" it's expected to be done yesterday with half the cost. I think it's almost at the point she thinks I'm having an affair with my car or fellow members of the forum which at times given the grief I get think I may be better to involve myself with someone who "understands" my passion or as my wife says "obsession" anyway I'm being nagged at for being on here yet again. Till the next time allowed off my lead.....

For someone under the thumb maybe :P

welshpug

Quite, if they want a piece of me they must understand that cars and bicycles are what make me, me! :D

• Like 1

JeffR

I can identify with your predicament Matt. I was once married to a woman who had no interest in my mechanical meddlings, was even too disinterested in learning how to change a tyre or dip the oil on her own car. Much easier to ring me & have me drop whatever I was doing!

BOT-the full rebuild of my 405 track car had its low points, but I'm glad I persevered and am now getting the enjoyment out of it that I'd hoped for, and from knowing the car and every nut & bolt inside out. I think the problem solving aspect is one of the most satisfying components with these projects.

Obviously, there are other imperatives that affect each of us and therefore there's no right or wrong way.

Jme

do u guys ever get to the point of thowing ur tools down in stress and just want to give up on the project even the amount of work u put in coz im at that stage but then i have a few days of not going to my garage then i just miss getin under the car and getin my hands dirty i guess thats the thing bout cars when u go so far u cant go back

camgti

Yea mate lots! Ive almost burnt mine to the ground on a few occasions. Best thing to do is just walk away. Have something to eat. Regroup, take a breath and remember that there are worse things happining to others out there!!

Even if you do 30minutes everyday, you will be closer to finishing it every time.

Making a list of things you have to do and just DOING them also helps. As soon as you start wanting to punch a wall, just walk away again, take a breath!

Some people like to put time limits on things, I just keep plugging away until they are finished.

Whats getting you down or slowing progress?

Cam

allanallen

do u guys ever get to the point of thowing ur tools down in stress and just want to give up on the project even the amount of work u put in coz im at that stage but then i have a few days of not going to my garage then i just miss getin under the car and getin my hands dirty i guess thats the thing bout cars when u go so far u cant go back

Frustration drives me, if I'm struggling with something I can't stop until it's sorted. Deep breath, dry your tears, glug of beer/wine/calpol then show the f***er who's boss! :P

• Like 1

Goliath

I know the feeling, many times I have wanted to give up and burn the car! Instead a quick call to welshpug and he always manages to point me in the right direction, or even come over and sort it for me!

It is ALWAYS worth it in the end though, once you have taken it for that first little drive once it's all done it feels amazing.

P.s. if you are struggling with 16v, try a 24v ;)

PAGOS

I keep a ball in the garden for pressure relief . A walk out into the fresh air , a good kick , usually accompanied with a few swear words in a foreign language [ it doesn't upset the neighbours if they don't understand ] , sit down , deep breaths [ nicotine ] , glare menacingly at the car , go back calmed and carry on . think of SISYPHOS trying to get the rock on top of the mountain or Robert the Bruce and the spider ! think of the end result and that satisfying feeling of ;I DID THAT ;

Jme

what stress me out is my garage is 30 minz drive away i live in spain so parts are all order form uk ive done so much to the car not but it seams eveytime i go up to work on it i get the stuff done but it just never seems to end lol

also im fed up with waiting for parts to come to finsh one job i run out of things to then they all come at one then ive got to much stuff to do

dobboy

Had a read through this again and had a little chuckle to myself.

I never learned my lesson as i'm at it again, but this time it's a more streamlined operation now as i wear latex gloves.

• Like 1

Slo

You want to try a 2.0 turbo conversion, man there's some work going on there :angry: i'm also electrically and electronically minded but the wiring was a royal pita

water pipes were the worst part, then the freezing cold weather, then having to go to work, then no one being in to take delivery of parcels, then.........

Wouldn't want to do it again, although having said that it would be a hell of a lot easier and faster as i'd know what to expect, what to buy and what i could get away with

• Like 1

dobboy

Long Johns are the answer for the cold even though the GF calls me Alf Garnett when i wear them, and the oldest clothes i can find so i can just dump them after a few days of rolling about.

This time i'm finding it ok, i've previously done all the donkey work so it's just take off and put on stuff for me, but still very time consuming.

I seen a GTI6 turbo bay a few months ago, the exhaust mani and the way it all fitted was a masterpiece of engineering. I imagine it would be a lot easier to do in a proper car garage with a helper at hand right enough.

I keep telling the GF to phone me to make sure an engine or the car isn't lying on top of me..... She never does lol

• Like 1

Slo

I have thermal suits for cold weather jobs but it does nothing for fingers and ears and cheeks. Got long johns for work too lol.

Ive been found pinned once or twice (slipped off jack or something dropped on top of me while getting down into a tight spot) with the mobile out of reach and im not about to start shouting for help anytime soon just to attract attention from so called mates on my street who have nothing better to do than to take advantage of the situation by taking lots of pictures for facebook, no siree. ;)