• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

A1AXX

Tran X Lsd Fitting Ma Gearbox

A1AXX

Hi,

Just getting around to fitting my diff.

It came with its crown wheel and final drive, so no worries there.

Where the diff fits into the MA box casing, it scores it where the plates protrude the diff slightly.

Do I machine the inside of the casing slightly or take the plate protrusions away with the dremel?

Cheers

J

Tom Fenton

Relieve the gearbox casing, don't touch the diff. A small belt sander is ideal for the job.

A1AXX

Yea tom, just got the dremel on it. All fits fine now.

My next question is about how stiff the diffs feel when test fitted and the casing bolted together. Normal I guess?

Both the old and new are stiff to turn!

pip470

Stick a shaft in and try and turn it, there not that stiff to turn. If it is stiff, its locked up somewhere and still binding.

A1AXX

Hi pip,

It's definately bit binding any more, I actually refitted an old diff to test it out, to be honest it does the exact same thing.

Bearing in mind there no sealant either

A1AXX

Okay,

In the end I found that the diff was still actually rubbing the casing, so no issues, it's all nicely seated and feels good.

I researched online about tapered bearing diff preload torques. I found some data for Honda gearboxes (okay not the same, but certainly the same idea). So worth bearing this in mind if you decide to fit an LSD to an Ma5 gearbox, or other.

I have found that my assembly, WITHOUT sealant has a starting torque of 4Nm with the new bearings. I had some tight spots at 10Nm where the casing rubbed. I have now ground the high spot out of the casing and I'm good to go. I measured this starting torque using a torque wrench, and a socket glued into the diff, not ideal, but it does the job!

I spoke to Quaife again today about it, and they were happy with that.

According to the guide, they look for 2.7-4Nm of starting torque with new bearings, and 2.5-3.7Nm when you reuse the old tapered bearings.

See the pic below.

I love to hear about anyone's opinion on all of this

Thanks

Josh

post-21061-0-25512600-1392855258_thumb.jpg

christopher
  • @joshWas this a trans X diff or a quaife one you fitted?
  • Have you got it to work properly? 
  • What box did you use as a base?