• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BrianC

205 1.6 Phase 1.5 Wont Start Or Turn Over

BrianC

Hi, I have a 1988 Phase 1.5 205, at the moment it will only bump start down a hill, and looking for some advice before I start trying things for the sake of it. I've read about the brown multiplug but cant seem to find one, I've removed the air flow motor and cant see any plug sitting above gearbox? Does my car have one, if so pictures would be great to highlight location :) I hear a click when i turn the key, does this indicate the starter is ok or should i check that next?

Brian.

jackherer

There is a small wire plugged into the starter that goes to the brown multiplug so you can follow that back. It might not be the brown plug itself, the wire from the starter could have a fault anywhere from the starter back. If you unplug the wire from the starter and touch a wire from the battery + post to the starter where you unplugged the wire the starter should turn over so you can rule it out that way.

dcc

if you need a quick fix you should have enough current to run a relay off the wire to the starter.

BrianC

Thanks for the replies I will try again tonight or tomorrow hopefully if i get a chance.

MikeC

Had that myself and found a cat was the one pulling out the small wire from the starter, New crimp and all sorted.

dcc

did the cat survive?

MikeC

Sitting on the window as we speak, A close call with a drive belt copped her on :blink: