• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EarthMummy

Starting My New Project (205, Diesel)

EarthMummy

Okay, picked up this beast only yesterday.

Having issues uploading photos at the moment but one made the upload!

Okay, it's a 1991 Peugeot 205 style. It's a 1.8 Diesel (non turbo).

This is my third 205, though my previous ones were 1.8 DT's.

It's been 4 years 2 months since I let go of my last 205 with huge regret still to this day.

Anyway, plans for this car - being honest it's been beaten up a little bit but cosmetics are last on my list! I need to sort out a rough running problem, I suspect either an air leak or the fuel pump needs replacing as it may be starving of fuel.

Symptoms: On idle the car will struggle after a while and eventually will die alltogether. (even under light throttle you hear it physically struggling and about to die).

Looking at the fuel primer bulb, something, somewhere has gone a-miss and it looks like someone has got a glue gun to the top of it... Seller included a new primer bulb in sale (along with a few other goodies) but looking at it I am not sure it's the correct one for the job.......

Rear axle needs replacing also - again, seller included one in the sale, but if I can I need to take out the brake lines from the new axel and steal them off the exsisting axle as they are in better condition..

803FC4EE-4424-4A97-B22E-0A159C643E86_zps

In two minds about keeping the style badging... I am not awfully keen on the yellow trim externally and plan to upgrade the dash if possible on the inside too..

Oh, and if anyone knows a good welder within Oxfordshire, let me know... the boot needs some attention.... :)

post-25062-0-23169000-1391259167_thumb.jpgpost-25062-0-45655700-1391259182_thumb.jpg

Edited by EarthMummy

randomcaller

Was this on eBay a few days ago? If you need any parts drop me a pm I've recently bought a 1.8d junior and put a 306 d turbo engine in it :) have my old engine sitting in the garage taking up space :( sad to see it ripped out as I had just given it fresh oil and filter and then 3 days later ordered the new engine, had only done 57k as well.

Where is your rust? I've got quite the hole on the near side strut top so bought some weld in plates for it. Any plans for the interior?

• Like 1

minimaniacwhyard

Consider yourself folowed. Planning the same conversion. Recently bought a 205 dturbo for other half and need a toy for my self. Big boosted xud diesel only way to go.

• Like 1

EarthMummy

Was this on eBay a few days ago? If you need any parts drop me a pm I've recently bought a 1.8d junior and put a 306 d turbo engine in it :) have my old engine sitting in the garage taking up space :( sad to see it ripped out as I had just given it fresh oil and filter and then 3 days later ordered the new engine, had only done 57k as well.

Where is your rust? I've got quite the hole on the near side strut top so bought some weld in plates for it. Any plans for the interior?

Wow, only 57k is good going, what age is the 205?

I would be interested in the engine but I am after a bit of boost I am afraid... :)

My rust is in the boot, drivers side... I will take a picture if it ever stops raining long enough...

I am in two minds whether to go factory standard exterior and interior but upgrade the engine bay to give some boost or whether to go the whole hog and change it's identity....

Looking at the ''howmanyleft'' website these Styles are common as muck, where as the poor D Turbos are REALLY RARE (That saddened me!)

Consider yourself folowed. Planning the same conversion. Recently bought a 205 dturbo for other half and need a toy for my self. Big boosted xud diesel only way to go.

Thank a you :)

Was just saying those D Turbos are extremely rare now a days - well done you!

I am thinking a DT from an early 306 may be the way forward, XUD9.... This is what I am planning at the moment but haven't had much time to look into the practicalities etc.... ;)

EarthMummy

Jobs I want doing even if she was to stay as factory spec internally and externally:

1) Roof rack HAS to go

2) Bodywork (which, to be fair is in good condition with no rust externally) needs tidying up

3) Rust in the boot needs welding and sorting out to prevent more 'inside out' rusting

4) Engine transplant (I need a turbo under my bonnet...)

5) Rear axle replacement

6) Replacement locks ALL around (see if it should be central locking or if I can fit CL)

7) Fitting PAS

8) Heater refurb

9) Front spoiler and fog lights

10) Upgrade intrement panel and dash (like the DT dash)

11) Upgrade steering wheel (as above)

Jobs I want doing if I do away with the factory spec

1) All the above

2) Upgraded interior, not leather though! (Not a fan of leather I must admit)

3) Respray

4) Sub in the boot

5) May lower her onto coil overs

P.s I didn't see her on the 'bay, if you have links (if you watched it) I can say if it is or not... lol

Edited by EarthMummy

randomcaller

It is a 1993 car :) got loads of service history and past mots to back it up, even felt a little sad taking out the old engine knowing it had done so little miles and been looked after so well! I put an xud engine in mine with the dhy engine code. If it's a Lucas pump and a more modern model like my engine (1998) then the start solenoid on the pump will be immobilized so you have to take a grinder to the top of the pump to get it out and replace it with a normal solenoid, I used mine from my old engine.

Power steering wise , my 205 had power steering so ice still got a power rack and the 306 engine came with power steering and A/c which I was hoping they didn't to make it more simple but I removed the a/c and kept the steering pump but it was a bugger getting the right belt back on. I'm going to try to get hold of some standard 306 d turbo power steering fuel lines and see if they will fit straight onto the 205 rack but if not it will be a custom job.

So your deffo going for boost? It's a funny little car with it :) gonna tune mine after mot tomorrow. I think you should keep the roof rack on it too :D on mine I bought gti half leather seats and steering wheel but kept the denim door cards and blue carpet because I th+ink it looks strangely cool. Still kept my brown leather junior badges from the old seats to maybe sew onto the gti seats to mix it up :)

• Like 2

EarthMummy

It is a 1993 car :) got loads of service history and past mots to back it up, even felt a little sad taking out the old engine knowing it had done so little miles and been looked after so well! I put an xud engine in mine with the dhy engine code. If it's a Lucas pump and a more modern model like my engine (1998) then the start solenoid on the pump will be immobilized so you have to take a grinder to the top of the pump to get it out and replace it with a normal solenoid, I used mine from my old engine.

Power steering wise , my 205 had power steering so ice still got a power rack and the 306 engine came with power steering and A/c which I was hoping they didn't to make it more simple but I removed the a/c and kept the steering pump but it was a bugger getting the right belt back on. I'm going to try to get hold of some standard 306 d turbo power steering fuel lines and see if they will fit straight onto the 205 rack but if not it will be a custom job.

So your deffo going for boost? It's a funny little car with it :) gonna tune mine after mot tomorrow. I think you should keep the roof rack on it too :D on mine I bought gti half leather seats and steering wheel but kept the denim door cards and blue carpet because I th+ink it looks strangely cool. Still kept my brown leather junior badges from the old seats to maybe sew onto the gti seats to mix it up :)

Love all the work you've done so far, have you made your own thread? Would love to see photo progresses.... :)

Did you say your new engine was from a 306? What engine did your 205 come with? Mines already an XUD.. Mines a 1990 I believe (H reg)

Deffo going for some boost-age :D

As much as the power to weight ratio is spot on for even the non turbo 205's some girls just like some turbos under the bonnet.. Even if the work that's involved with that means a bit of a headache.. :) (especially as one is preggers and expecting a baby soon!)

The seats are not in bad condition but the rear seats have come undone at the seams so either I have to learn how to use a needle and thread soon... or I upgrade them... GTi half leathers look and sound like a good idea! :wub:

Loose Hand Luke

Want to sell your roof rack mate? I need one for my GLD. I also think you should keep the yellow trim! :-P

EarthMummy

If you still have that engine I'd be interested in it... It sounds like what I'm after? XUD9 TE?