• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
liampeterkin

Gearbox Ma/be3

liampeterkin

hi. just wondering if the internals of the MA gearbox can be changed with the BE3 box or can the MA box be fitted to the GTI engine?

welshpug

The ma is bad enough on a tu3, let alone an xu engine.

Wrong angle, wrong bellhousing pattern, wrong starter placement, and too weak.

Only bits that are the same, are the driveshaft seals and speedometer drive, thankfully :P

Edited by welshpug

liampeterkin

thanks for reply. what can be dune to the box to make the car quicker, can you change the gears from other boxes or is there a diff I can use instead?

welshpug

Lets start from the beginning, I gather you have a gti, but which type, and what's wrong with it?

Yes you can swap crownwheels and pinions from other gearboxes into a gti box which can make them a fair bit shorter, the gears in a gti box are fairly close but on a relatively long final drive.

liampeterkin

I have 2 1.6gti's.1 is a rally car with be3 gearbox and the other is my road car with be1 box and I also have an ma5 box as well. The plan is to make 1 good car out of the 2 and rally/trackday it. I was wanting to make the quickest possible gearbox out of all the parts i've got.

welshpug

Easiest route is to find a 4.4 or shorter final drive, nothing you have at the moment will help, forget about the MA box.