• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Speedo Housing Bolts

Are washers needed on the 3 x bolts used to hold the speedo drive casing onto the diff casing?

This is on a VTS box, but still a BE3, so I presume similar to a regular gti box.

welshpug

From memory there are captive loose washers on them.

Hmm, they can't be very captive, as they aren't on mine...

I had a look on service box, but it's not very clear. If anything, it looks like they don't have washers - ?

Edited by 2052006

welshpug

you can see the washers on the bolt in the picture.

Yes, having looked again, you're right. I am looking at the gearboxes under "306" and BE3/5 - though the bolts seem to be the same for BE3/6 too. Am I looking in the right place/ at the right gearbox?

Also, I can't work out on service box if the three bolts are the same, or if one is different to the other two. What do you think? The three I currently have (without washers, don't know how that happened) are the same type for all three.

welshpug

depends on the housing, earlier gearboxes had one or two different lengths, later ones I think as you mention are all the same.

Well the difference seems to be only in the length (30 as opposed to 55). All mine currently are 55 and fit ok, so I guess Ill just order the 55 length ones, so Ive got some with washers.

Cheers.

Miles

it's a std bolt and washer, all separate. All BE1, BE3 have 2 different lengths, Only the later BE4's used the same length bolt. But washers are needed for this

Thanks Miles. Well, I don't know how mine came to have 3 bolts of the same length and all without washers! I can only think I may have used the wrong bolts on re-fitting the speedo housing when I did the engine/box conversion a few years ago...