• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

8V Turbo Blowing Blue Smoke On Dyno ?

JR20516V

Everything is done now including aftermarket ECU. She went up on the dyno today and we ran across a big smoky problem. As we are still mapping it we have not even gone to higher boost etc...just trying to get it running correctly first up.

The problem occurs as soon as the boost comes on........clouds of blue smoke.

Compression is fine, Head gasket all good.

The dyno people are suggesting it could be the seal in the turbo [it has not been run for 2 years ] so that gives me two options if that is the case... unless there is another reason someone can point out? [i read once where these seals are a weak point on the XU10J2TE ]

Option 1. Have the existing turbo rebuilt with new seals. Anybody know rough cost?

Option 2. Buy a complete new item and dont take the chance on a rebuild. read expensive ....;]

Anything else i havent thought of as an option ? Anybody got a good spare T25 sitting around :}

I look forward to your comments.....cheers !

NFS

Not Good buddie, as for your options,

option 1 - you can rebuild it just purchase any garrett t25 rebuild kit off ebay and as long as you do it right it should be fine.

option 2 - will cost you a fortune and thats if you can find one as these are pug specific garrett TB25 turbos

or Option 3 - buy a garrett T28 turbo off a s14 200sx and hybrid the two, use the compressor housing and shaft of the 28 and then put that onto the center carraige and exhuast housing of the tb28, considering you are having the car mapped i wouldnt even bother with the t25 as its tiny.

option 3 has been done on the 406 forum, however there was no resaults as the guy didnt finish the engine. i will be doing this over the next couple of months, hopefully it will give me more CFM to psi which = More POWER

Henry Yorke

Sounds like a turbo seal :( You ought to look for a Turbo technics manifold and that will give you a lot more options in fitting something like a GT28RS. It will be cheaper than a new PSA turbo. However a rebuild is the cheapest option. it depends how much power you want and what you want it to drive like. I like the wide torque of the T25 myself

JR20516V

NFS: The option 3 you describe above might be a thing for the future. If one went in that direction does the turbo still fit in that tiny space or does it keep the same OE size with just the internals changed. I didnt think a T28 would fit in there.

Hi Henry, Hows things ? Yes, we all thought it was a turbo seal however after talking to a 40 year experienced turbo mechanic over the phone he said it sounded more like crankcase breathing/blockage etc as exactly the opposite happens when a seal plays up....that is.....lots of blue smoke on idle and NOT on boost.

Update: Found a blockage in the crankcase breather and ....bingo !!! Blue smoke gone. Time for a full dyno which got some decent figures [this dyno is traditionally reading low ]

Here is where we finished.........170 hp at the wheels [approx 204 at the fly ] 300nm of torque ;] This was all at 12psi not 1 bar. It actually lost power after 12psi so we stuck with 12 to be nice and safe having reached the "norm" for this setup. Apparently its the small turbo thats stopping the show from going further to 1 bar.

The good thing about the small turbo is its incredible lack of lag and the dyno people were amazed at how quick the thing came on boost [torque steer here we come LOL ]

They also said there appears to be another 10hp with every 1 psi available [total 20hp at 1 bar ] but again its the turbo holding things back. Needs to be hi-flowed they reckon ?

Specs. of setup so far.= DKZ cam, 2.5 inch straight through zorst with hi-flow cat. , Haltech ECU

I am SOOOO glad it wasnt the turbo seals !!!!

• Like 1

NFS

Great to hear that mate, always good to see a simple outcome, and they are great resaults mate. as for option 3 as long as you dont get a pulser t28 you should be fine, the compressor housing on a pulser turbo is huge as they run the biggest t28 around i think the trim is like 80! lol 200sx one should fit with no problems. i will do a how to when i do mine.

Tom Fenton

DKZ cam is garbage, bin it and fit the GTI cam to let the thing breathe.

• Like 1

JR20516V

oops !! it should have read DFZ. Typo and operator error. ;]